Site revamp/overhaul

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Re: Site revamp/overhaul

Post by Seerow »

Officer, you can get to the Adopt page by going to your Pets page and at the top there is an "Adopt a pet" link, as well as one for free food and reorganizing your pets. I never even knew there was an adopt link on the home page, I just always used this one.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Enriana
Human Avatar: 155464

Post by Enriana »

URGH. I just looked at one of my pets' lookups - treasure chests are no longer four rows?! AAAGH. I spent SO MUCH TIME organizing all 10 treasure chests so each row made sense and had a theme and and and. I do not like this. AT ALL.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Seerow wrote:Officer, you can get to the Adopt page by going to your Pets page and at the top there is an "Adopt a pet" link
*blinks slowly*

That would be the most obvious place to find that link, too. :oops: Thanks; I'll keep that in mind if I ever get another pet slot.
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Post by Sunwolf »

Thank you so, so much Lavender! I think I clicked everything but "home." Why the heck was that under "home," anyway?

The tiny text size is driving me nuts. I purposefully got a huge monitor so that I could set the settings for "old lady vision" and not have to wear my glasses and get headaches. But Subeta's text is so fucking tiny. And blue. There was a reason I always used the Love Matter layout. Hopefully there will be a way to fix this, or I'm off of Subeta. A simpler layout option would be nice as well - the current options are so heavily detailed that they are rather distracting.

Having the old layout load, then the new layout load on top of it is not cool. It's lazy.

Argh, too much change. Maybe things will look better in the morning.
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

Officer 1BDI wrote:ETA 2: I just changed my password, and I realize I can't find the "Log In" option. I only get "Log Out" from the menu, and am only prompted to log in when I attempt to access a part of the site that requires me to be logged in.
You log in on the front page. Which I love 'cause it's one less click (I'm lazy like that!). But they should totally add "log in" next to "log out" on the menu.

{eta} Ok. Quick stock is starting to bug me. There's way too much space between the item names and the... stock or moving options (whichever way to want to say that). The quick stock menu needs to be, um, closed in tighter? (Sorry, I'm really no good at conveying my thoughts into words)
Last edited by lavender on 27 Oct 2009 06:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
Keith

Post by Keith »

Enriana wrote:URGH. I just looked at one of my pets' lookups - treasure chests are no longer four rows?! AAAGH. I spent SO MUCH TIME organizing all 10 treasure chests so each row made sense and had a theme and and and. I do not like this. AT ALL.
You can change it here. There are the CSS codes listed to help you resize the treasure box to your liking :).
Enriana
Human Avatar: 155464

Post by Enriana »

aieeee. That's amazing. So I could have different sizes for each pet? THAT IS SO COOL. Thanks, Keith!

Also, I'm having a few wonky loading things that others mentioned. Like the old layout loading under the new one and the new one needing to load images again for each page.

But there seem to be a lot of good customizable options, so overall I'm pleased. Or at least, I will be when I get used to it. ;)
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

lavender wrote:
Officer 1BDI wrote:ETA 2: I just changed my password, and I realize I can't find the "Log In" option. I only get "Log Out" from the menu, and am only prompted to log in when I attempt to access a part of the site that requires me to be logged in.
You log in on the front page. Which I love 'cause it's one less click (I'm lazy like that!). But they should totally add "log in" next to "log out" on the menu.
Ah. Thanks!

(Gawd, I'm made of all sorts of fail tonight. :P )
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Overall, I like it. I'm a bit confused by pet lookups. Are they supposed to go minion first, then pet image, then stats which also partly cover up the pet image?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Hahahaha. Wow. Yeah, I'm glad that I decided not to do anything more than basic pet overlays today, which was wasted effort anyway.

To be sure, I am 100% in favor of making pet lookups more customizable. I'm also 100% in favor of beta testing before public release.

Huggles, if you make your browser window wider, the stats probably won't cover up the pet image anymore. I don't use my browser that wide, so, it's ugly on my end, too. But that's just one of the many obvious problems that I assume will be handled. I'm assuming, because it's easier than getting angry.
Image Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

It's as wide as it can possibly go on 1024x768.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Yeah, I keep saying: People still use lower resolutions. Especially on laptops, but just... ignoring the fact that people don't all have huge screens is a mistake.

I just found out that if you use a smaller window, the menu bar starts getting jacked up. So anyone on 800x600 has just been ever-so-subtly commanded to upgrade.
Image Image
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

I think it's a terrible idea to release the new site layout on the night of the site's regularly scheduled downtime. Especially when all of the pet treasure changes were made shortly before the downtime started. I was just starting to play around with the codes to make everything fit the way it used to, and I was running into some major problems right when the site went down.

I'll adjust to the major site changes, but pet layouts were the part I've been concerned about all along. I've spent a loooot of money on my pets' treasures. They're all very carefully planned out, and the length of the rows and the item names both matter quite a bit. I'm glad we can adjust the row lengths now, although with the ridiculously wide layout, having four items in a row looks tiny. I might have to make adjustments to a lot of my pets' treasures.

Are the item names not visible now? I had just noticed that they weren't showing up when the site went down. There are so, so many adjustments I need to make before I'm going to be happy with my pet layouts again...
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

What's weird is that there's at least 2 inches of white space to the left and right of everything, so it's not like there isn't any room for them to scoot over.
shadowgem
Human Avatar: 71636

Post by shadowgem »

I've done some basic CSS tweaking. I'm a person who just does not like fluid-width layouts, so I told my layout to knock that off.

Code: Select all

body, #page {width: 940px !important;}
#content {width: 755px !important;}
The postcards are distracting, and in my opinion, unnecessary, so they were the next thing to go. I also didn't see the point of the button on the left that says "Subeta," when clicking the Home tab will also take you to the home page.

#postcards, #menu-logo {display: none;}
Next, I decided that the clock would look better over the sidebar than randomly placed in the middle of the menu. I also made it a bigger, more spaced-out font, because it was almost impossible to read.

#menu-time {font-size: 13px !important; letter-spacing: 1px !important; position: relative; left: -170px; top: -4px;}
I've got some other things in my code too, but they're nitpicky little things that likely won't appeal to anyone else (I removed the images that created the rounded borders on the header and menu, and rounded the borders myself with CSS, since I use a browser that supports it).

Now that I've tweaked it a little bit, I think I like it.
neopets (still full of fail) ~:~ subeta
Avatar drawn for me by Subeta user SHOZZYKiNS