"Pound is not fair game." - TNT returns scammed pet.

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

"Pound is not fair game." - TNT returns scammed pet.

Post by thelonetiel »

Soo. I was browsing the Neoboards Pound Chat and a most interesting development appears.

http://www.neopets.com/neoboards/topic. ... =138636834
(Note that apparently the user didn't change their active pet, so that Plooshka still appears as the active pet, but is in fact on another account. Presumably, the active pet system isn't set up to deal with pets moved around by higher powers)

Another user (who I have more respect for) also notes that a friend had a similar problem and TNT returned the pet, but didn't give a timeline.

I can think of at least two other UC Krawks that were CGed, I'm curious to see if they also get returned.

Comments? Opinions? Or just note for future reference that there is now a precedent for moving scammed pets.
Mistress Morbid

Re: "Pound is not fair game." - TNT returns scammed pet.

Post by Mistress Morbid »

What the hell? When I went through my mess of hacked accounts and lost pets they wouldn't give some of them back to me because 'The person who adopted them from the pound had no idea and therefore are innocent' or something along those lines.

They sure have double-standards, don't they?
Image Image
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

I have raised eyebrows about this too. *points up* MM went through Hell getting 3/4 of her pets back and had to trade one to get another that was floating on the board. I'm guessing this is a person who was in a similar scenario, but had an active account. It makes you wonder how many people a pet has been through once it gets to you. It could very well be "taken back". I wonder will they ban trading if the problem gets too bad? It makes me worried about both pet trading and how much CG'ing is done onsite.

On the other hand, TNT is indirectly acknowledging their site is still insecure, and actually doing something about it. I'm very happy to see a person get their pet back. Somehow I still can't shake the fact that I think TNT could turn down the drama if they got rid of the flash format from the majority of the site, or from now on give a person an unconvert option. (yeah, still hung up on that).
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Indeed, it seems as though half the time the TNT staff themselves have no idea what their rules are since they're constantly second-guessing things or contradicting each other.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful that I came out of being hacked as lucky as I did. I managed to get most of my most precious pets back while having to sacrifice one and not being able to get another back (Shroomy, who was adopted 'fairly' from the pound and therefore they could not take her from the new owner to give back to me). Although I replaced her in a sense by creating Shroomya, it's still not the same and I can't help but feel slightly irked that this sort of thing comes up now.

I'll always love Neopets for the time I've spent there and the fond memories (seriously, I've been joined for a decade of my life, that's pretty crazy when I think about it), but sadly it just seems to be all over the place these days and I'm rather jaded by their mostly unhelpful staff. I know there's still amazing people there, one of whom helped me regain my account, but overall it seems to be sinking.
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

I think a lot could be said for encrypting their passwords. This forum encrypts passwords, for crying out loud!

Not that I really know in practical terms how much of an effect that would have, but haven't people hacked into accounts directly and then used the plaintext password to get into bank accounts or something?
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I think a lot could be said for encrypting their passwords. This forum encrypts passwords, for crying out loud!
I always found it quite disconcerting that random Neopets staff members could see your password - not just the monitors, frozen account support etc, but artists and people like that. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but it was a security hole.