Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Madge

Re: Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

Post by Madge »

I understand what you mean and I think they just haven't done it because they haven't done it yet. It also means that new generations can have unique pokemon by giving different type combos - it would be interesting to see how many unique type combos each generation introduced.

Because all grass pokemon are the same except for their stats and moves; but if you get a grass/fire pokemon, it's already unique and a potentially awesome pokemon just for that. You need awesome pokemon in each generation right?

Now I'm wondering whether they decide which types they will have their pokemon in, or if they design a pokemon first then figure out what types to make it second.

I remember in GSC being like "omg" when I saw chimecho was electric/water, I think that's probably kinda what they're going for.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I want a Grass/Fire Jack-o-Lantern type pokemon. THIS MUST BE MADE!

So yeah, Black and White. I don't mind the names, I felt they were stretching it even with Diamond and Pearl. I'm thinking I'm going to have to import one of them if they're still for the DS, to force myself to not suck at Japanese. I also like that the girl has a baseball cap, as they're one of my favorite types of hats. I'm also hoping they keep the pokemon following you, as they should have kept in it every game after yellow and I'll be very disappointed if they drop it again.
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

I remember in GSC being like "omg" when I saw chimecho was electric/water, I think that's probably kinda what they're going for.
This was totally me too! I was like " :shock: "! Same for other dual types that seem contradictory (fire/rock like those magma snail thingies...).

Electric/psychic would be so awesome though, with a jacked up sp atk, like Alakazam with a thunder punch!!1

Wow I sound like a 12 y/o kid.
Now I'm wondering whether they decide which types they will have their pokemon in, or if they design a pokemon first then figure out what types to make it second.
This would be really interesting to know. Like if they go, "well okay we have 45 fire-type pokes in all the pokeverse and only 35 ice-types, design another ice type, concept art minion!" and maybe they go from there? Or is it more like, the concept art minion doodles some crap and when the idea is refined they decide what type to assign the pokemon and tweak the design accordingly?

Now I'M wondering what the distribution of pokemon types look like, are they pretty evenly distributed or do some types have significantly more pokemon than others? Where do legendaries fit (are there more psychic-type legendaries or something, for example)?

Hay is there a legendary who is a normal type?
Thank you for the av and sig set!
Larkspurlane @ neo
Madge

Post by Madge »

I have to study for a test so I won't continue commenting in fangirl fashion at the moment, but to your last question:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... %C3%A9mon)
Regigigas (Japanese: レジギガス Regigigas) is a Normal-type legendary Pokémon. It is the master of Hoenn's legendary golems.

It is not known to evolve into or from any other Pokémon.

It comes to life only when Regirock, Regice, and Registeel are gathered. Therefore, it requires the three to be in the player's party to awaken it within Snowpoint Temple, where it sleeps. It still appears on the map if they are absent, but does not awaken and the player regards it as a statue.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

You guys are killing me. Chimecho is psychic, chinchou is water/electric. ;)
Image Image
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

*stares blearily*

...oh.

whatever, they both start by "ch" and it's past my bedtime okay! :D
Larkspurlane @ neo
Madge

Post by Madge »

I'm sorry! I must admit it's my fault, the fake pokemon I linked to included an evolution of Chimecho so I had it in my brain. They both have asian sounding Ch names :(
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

I'm just teasing. I'm not actually judging you for confusing very similar names out of almost five hundred names. Really!
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

PLEASE DON'T BAN ME ALL ALMIGHTY ADMIN D: D: D: I AM SORRY FOR MY TRANSGRESSIONS *scrapes forehead*
Fury

Post by Fury »

Madge wrote:WARNING: THIS IS FAKE BELOW

These are some FAKE pokemon that somebody made up, I think over the course of a long time. They all look really realistic, and have realistic names, and some of them are really awesome.

So FAN pokemon sprites http://watertrainer.deviantart.com/art/ ... -146730886

Aren't they cool? It really makes me optimistic for the new games, since they can make some really cool type combinations - psychic/electric, steel/fire...
Some of those are AWESOME. I demand the Chatot pre-evo and evolution to become a reality. NOW!

I'm really excited for these games although I realise we won't be seeing them for a long time. I am torn between following each update religiously or keeping away from them to allow myself more surprises for when it is released. I didn't really follow the updates for Diamond/Pearl and playing it for the first time and discovering all the new Pokemon was so fun.

I've recently joined Bulbapedia Forums however and I'm not sure I can avert my eyes to the discoveries. D:

P.S. I think the names are great!
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

Larkspurlane wrote:Now I'M wondering what the distribution of pokemon types look like, are they pretty evenly distributed or do some types have significantly more pokemon than others? Where do legendaries fit (are there more psychic-type legendaries or something, for example)?
I knew from monotype-challenge experience that the overall distribution was pretty uneven (there are a few types with way more pokémon than the rest), but I hadn't looked up the legends before. Turns out, they're both predictable and not at all representative.

If you're interested:
Spoiler: open/close
Bug: 47 (Legends: 0)
Dark: 23 (Legends: 1)
Dragon: 19 (Legends: 6)
Electric: 28 (Legends: 2)
Fighting: 25 (Legends: 0)
Fire: 33 (Legends: 3)
Flying: 65 (Legends: 6)
Ghost: 18 (Legends: 1)
Grass: 55 (Legends: 2)
Ground: 48 (Legends: 1)
Ice: 22 (Legends: 2)
Normal: 80 (Legends: 2)
Poison: 50 (Legends: 0)
Psychic: 55 (Legends: 12)
Rock: 37 (Legends: 1)
Steel: 26 (Legends: 4)
Water: 92 (Legends: 4)
I've always kinda wanted to set up a whole suite of statistical analyses on pokémon. It seems like just the kind of thing to be a good exercise and incredibly fascinating in spite of its complete uselessness. :B
(I remember that years ago I went through and found that, yes, every pokémon could eventually be bred with every other, without resorting to Ditto ('bred' here meaning that offspring with both pokémon in their ancestry can be produced) - at least, as of the third generation; I'm tempted to go back and see if the same is true of the first and second. I also found that it was topologically impossible to create a chart of it without lines crossing. –nerd–)

Re: actual on-topic things - I have to say I'm really sad over the total departure from the traditional sprite overheads. I can't help but think that running around in full 3D will be needlessly confusing, and I'll always be nostalgic for the pretty pixel art. :< (I do, however, love the introduction of the overworld pokémon. So adorable.)
Madge

Post by Madge »

My curiosity is finding out which type combinations are the most common, and which ones have yet to be realised. I'd wager flying/normal quite easily wins this. Something like water/ice would also be a contender along with rock/ground.

Then we can have a concept competition to see who can come up with the best pokemon that uses this type combination. And the prize will be... er, yeah.
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

Haha, what an awesome post, Foghawk. Thanks for putting that together!!! *peruses with interest*

I expected dragon/ice/dark to be low... but what surprised me is the amount of water types, did not expect them to beat normal types.

Do some types tend to produce more useless pokemon? Like those ones that no-one in their right mind would use for competitive battling. Bug and poison or something? (Are there really strong bug or poison types... besides that queen bee thing?)
Larkspurlane @ neo
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

http://veekun.com/dex/types/poison

By total stat, Venomoth is a pretty good bug/poison type. There are definitely great poison types or poison combos. I have a Gengar that's awesomeness. And Crobat, because of its speed, can be stunning. There's something impressive out of every type. So no type is a complete wash. But maybe a good comparison would be, say, how many pokemon in X, Y, Z... type have a total stat over 450. Or 475. Or something.
Image Image
Crystalame

Post by Crystalame »

Weezing and Muk are also really good defensive Poison-types.

Yanmega is the best Bug-type, competitive battling wise.