Minor art updates

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Re: Minor art updates

Post by Tom »

She looks kinda... busty. @.@ Which I don't really want to see in Lupes.
Subeta: Thomas
Crystalame

Post by Crystalame »

The anthro thing doesn't bother me at all. Partly because it just doesn't feel right to have a quadruped animal running a shop.

Anyway, she looks pretty cool. Looks more orange than red though. o_O;
Kinesthesia

Post by Kinesthesia »

Tyrannian Weaponry.

Not bad.
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

Old Tyrannian Weaponry. I preferred the old one, the new one's face looks a bit weird to me.. but it's not bad :B One of the better revamps.

Also, old grooming shopkeeper. Yay for Neopets not revamping their shopkeepers! :B
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Mum! That lady breathed on my sandwich!
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

The palm of her hand looks like, er, the cheeks you don't kiss with.

Apart from that, and the stick-thin anatomy that seems to be de rigueur for faeries these days, it's quite nice.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
EofS

Post by EofS »

Kantark wrote:The palm of her hand looks like, er, the cheeks you don't kiss with.
Which cheeks do you kiss with? :0P
Noble fauf

Post by Noble fauf »

After seeing all of the new shop keepers I've noticed that the neopet's artists seem to really like anthros. I don't have any problem with updating art, but I do think it's a little confusing (or misleading for new comers). It's almost like the neopets we own are the animals of the neopets world and the anthro-neopets are the sentience beings (humans).

Is it just that the current neopets artists are best at drawing humanoids or is there something else? I don't go to other virtual pet sites so I don't know how neopet's compares in the anthro department.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

It's basically been screwed up since the very beginning. However, a lot of the early issues can/have been forgiven because that's when the site was so new Adam was doing a lot of coding and Donna was a prominent artist. But as the site progressed and many of the shenanigans were retconned, updated, or dropped altogether, the anthro issue has never been sufficiently resolved. It was probably my biggest problem with the site while I was playing and I still don't understand why they don't acknowledge the obvious conflict.

The main reason I've heard from people who argue against the existence of humans on the site is that by the simple virtue of being human, they completely destroy the fantasy(literal not derogatory) of their Neopian world view. Lot's of people insist that their "pets" aren't really pets at all and are not only anthropomorphic in their looks, but are total substitutes for human beings. In other words, the actual PETS on the site are really petpets. However, Neopets even seems to take that one step further by placing petpets in the same role as pets and by extension, humans.

/rant
The way I see it, humans exist. All Neopets do not have human owners or companions. All pets do not have intelligence comparable to humans, but many do. Anthro(bipedal with hair and boobs) pets don't canonically exist, aside from a few obvious mutations or aberrations. The main reason they continue to draw anthro pets as opposed to what we see when we create a pet is due to laziness. It's much easier to draw an approximately human shape and stick an animal head on it than to try to correctly approximate how each species would look or move. It's much easier to stick Neopets of different "species" together in what appear to be biological nuclear family units than to actually think about how they come into being from all those magical eggs we imaginary humans hatch every time we create a pet. It's much easier to have a fighting system designed around the limitations of human anatomy than to try and customize weapons, armor, and fighting styles for dogs, cats, and whatever the heck poogles are. Even though this is a world brimming over with magic to compensate. You can totally get away with "A wizard did it!" for many things, yet they don't even bother going that far into the the thought process.

They also must think that for whatever reason, a character than looks like an animal is unsellable and too difficult to get people to relate to like they would another human. Which is complete and utter nonsense. Even if my interpreation of Neopia would somehow magically come to be, I can't imagine how it would stop anyone from choosing to draw or write about their pet in whatever way they want. I don't get why people go and pick out an aisha and say, "I love aishas! But only if they walk on two legs, have long flowing hair, and have an ample bosom." It's like telling me you love scorpions, but only if they have four legs, big floppy ears, short cottontails, twitchy noses, and are covered in soft cuddly fur. That's not a scorpion. That's a bunny.

/end rant
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

Old version:

New one's face looks a bit weird, but apart from that it's a good update. One of the best ones so far, imo.
Last edited by ZomgethMew on 09 May 2010 04:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

EofS wrote:Which cheeks do you kiss with? :0P
Well, I don't kiss arse :P
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Does this popular Neopian dish now look icky to anyone else?

Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

Its what happens when you mix Audrey II and a giant omelet. I swear that orange-ish blob with the green flecks sticking out of the front is a tongue. Rather than feeding off it, its going to start crying "feed me, Seymour..." and eat our pets.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

Old version.

..I agree with Xelio :x The old one needed an update - badly - but.. Well, hopefully the next revamp will be better :B.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Actually, I'm in favour of the new revamp. Do you think a giant omelette dumped on a hillside to feed millions would look good? It's an egg pancake big enough to smother a town.