Mutant uni

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Gazella Dama

Re: Mutant uni

Post by Gazella Dama »

Wow. TNT, I am disappoint. There is almost nothing I like about this, except maybe the toes. The colors are too bright and saturated, I really don't care for that bright yellow-green against the cooler greens and blues elsewhere on its body, especially with the random red in the eye. Very garish.

What is going on with its underbelly. I see both scales and fur. Scales would have been preferable. The shag carpeting that it's wearing seems pretty haphazardly placed as well. It looks less like tufts of hair on the elbows and more like... random strips.

And then head just... no. Why is it suddenly a dragon?! The single eye would have been totally cool, and maybe the pointed teeth, but otherwise... no. The extra set of ears just strike me as a random afterthought, also. The six-year-old girl in me wants to like uni's SO BAD but I really hate most of what TNT does with them. I might have liked to see something with multiple limbs, Sleipnir-styled.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I actually really like it. The hindquarters looks a bit strange, but overall I think it works well. As someone posted it looks a bit like a gargoyle which I find neat.
If I still actively played Neo and was looking for a new pet, this would be a candidate.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
lar

Post by lar »

Ugh. :c Dashed hopes taste gross.

I was expecting a lot more for the mutant uni, and this is just... lame. The red potion gave me false hope, even! Making me think it might be wicked and hellish, but no. It's this over saturated green thing with a cyodrake face and particularly irritating toes and wings. Bah. Also, is it just me, or is there a little snake-ish underbelly on its.. neck under that weird green chest hair?
Oops, my karma ran over your dogma.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Sorry for the imagery, but it's like a Uni got freaky with a Bori and Cyodrake. At first i thought the eye was two very cartoonish ones.

I like the base color a lot, but i'm not a fan of the bright greens. The mane and tail are cool (at least shape-wise), and i really like the wings the wings. But the rest, nah. Tiwsty pointy poop-horn, hehe.

At least it's much preferable to the original one, goofy and annoyingly ugly.
Silver Link

Post by Silver Link »

I think it looks pretty neat. The teal + bright green combo works well and while it's not completely out there like the Eyrie or Kau, it still looks mutant to me
Madge

Post by Madge »

It looks a bit simple especially after the calibre of TNT's previous mutant pets, but I do like that all its feet are on the ground. I hate that about all the other unis :(.
Silent

Post by Silent »

varii wrote:IIt oddly reminds me of something from Futurama....
As soon as I saw this Mutant It reminded me (stylistically) of something else, and I realise now that this ^^ is what it is....

The odd thing about it to me is that it doesn't actually look like a Neopet at all - it has a completely different "look" to all the others and must have been done by a newly appointed artist. Overall it's far too cartoon-y for my tastes, and in no way sinister-looking (though it would look instantly better without the goofy teeth and the whole eye zone treatment) and, of course it's a far cry from the work of the artist who did the Mutant Eyrie/Peo/Pteri/Kau....these last four are amongst the most popular and revered of all Neopets, so it seems an odd choice to abandon that artist for something altogether less sophisticated and more juvenile, but then maybe that's the point.

I really love mutants, old and new, so this is certainly a major disappointment, (especially after the Mutant Wocky debacle) and not something I would ever dream of owning/creating....
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

It definitely doesn't have the style of the regular Mutant artist. Wonder what happened...?

Anyways, this is pretty ugly. The colours clash and it just looks stupid. Too dragon-like head and face, and the back leg doesn't look right. I hope they didn't fire the remaining good artist left on Neo. I'd be really sad. ;-;
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I was going to chastise you for that, Pyro (it's unfair and patently untrue to say Neopets only has one good artist), but I wonder if you might be closer to the mark than you realised. I'm not very good at telling the artists' styles apart, but the Mutant Eyrie in particular strongly reminds me of the Neoquest 2 enemy art (bearing in mind that anything drawn for NQ2 is of course at least six years old by now):
Image Image Image
The artist who did most of NQ2's enemies left in the last month or so, and I wonder if she was responsible for the newer style of mutant, too. It would explain the dramatic change now.
Plushie Lenny

Post by Plushie Lenny »

The red version looks FAR better than this clashy blue and green.

It dosnt even look mutant!, it looks more like a Petpet or maybe a completely new species!

The whole of it jut dosnt make any sense, why a beard and furry tuft tail?

It puts all mutants to shame, its to cartooned!
Last edited by Plushie Lenny on 05 Mar 2010 06:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

Can I ask how you know one of the artists left, Jazzy? :O Or is that classified.

If it was her, this is the end of an era of Awesome! The mutant eyrie is so badass, I'm tempted to make mine right now just because I keep staring at that pic. (I have the trans potion in my gallery, just chillin'... as well as a peophin TP, which is the other badass.)
Thank you for the av and sig set!
Larkspurlane @ neo
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I've known this particular artist for quite a while; we used to talk on AIM a lot. No drama or anything surrounding her departure, she just wanted to move on :) We first started talking in about 2003 or 2004 and she'd already been a Neopets artist for a while then, so I can understand her wanting a change!

(I'll just point out that while I know whether she's at Neo or not, saying the eyrie looks similar in style to NQ2 art is just conjecture on my part, rather than her having said "yeah, I drew that".)
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

Jazzy wrote:I was going to chastise you for that, Pyro (it's unfair and patently untrue to say Neopets only has one good artist), but I wonder if you might be closer to the mark than you realised.
I'm sorry, it's just the bitterness I have against Neo still, but I see what you mean. There are some good pets that are not Mutant, but they are few and far between. It's always a hit or miss. =/

And I'm not usually good at figuring out who drew what, but something about the shading on the Mutant Pteri and on this Uni, are very different. I don't really know how else to explain it. ^^;
Fury

Post by Fury »

I'm sorry but I think it's really, really shite. Here I was hoping for a really creative, brilliant mutant pet just like the last few (Pteri, Kau, Peophin) but instead ... we've got this. D: No offence to anyone who likes it.

There's a distinct lack of imagination and it just looks like a clumsy dumbass. The eye also reminds me of Leela from Futurama. Boo!
champagnesoup

Post by champagnesoup »

Just nasty. Like Fury said, just not in the same league as the Pteri, Peophin, Kau etc - which is odd because quite a few of the individual elements are nice, they just look wrong here. The colours are queasy too, and not in a good way.