Royal Hissi

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
EofS

Re: Royal Hissi

Post by EofS »

AngharadTy wrote:And I hate to see a snake in a skirt. But maybe that's a personal preference.
Not all female characters have to wear skirts. I think she's wearing trousers, like the draik.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Hissis don't have legs, so trousers wouldn't even work, plus the item is called "Royal Girl Hissi Skirt."

I really like the male's whiskers and his crown. I hate the eyebrows, though. The female's little crown is neat, but the headdress has so many weird angles; it makes her head look very flat. I'm also not digging the color scheme. I'm so sick of pink and purple. I kind of hate female neopets in general, though, with their stupid eyelashes and hooded eyelids making them look all feminine and sultry. The abundance of pink just adds insult to injury.
EofS

Post by EofS »

Cranberry wrote:Hissis don't have legs, so trousers wouldn't even work, plus the item is called "Royal Girl Hissi Skirt."
*Writes on hand* Never trying that one again.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Firstly, YAY, more Royals! These aren't bad at all. I hadn't noticed the odd vertical lines on the Girl's headdress until it was pointed out but it does look a little peculiar now you've mentioned it.

I'm not too taken with the skirt/trouser-snake look, though :-P

Royalboy looks like he's wearing a set of velour drapes which is kinda amusing.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Felid

Post by Felid »

I must say I did a double-take when I first saw these pop up on the news page...they looked so utterly messy and fundamentally unlike Royals that I could hardly believe what I was seeing. With the passage of time I've grown more used to the Royal Girl, even though it's essentially a Purple Hissi in a ill-fitting cheap frock. The Royal Boy, though, continues to annoy the heck out of me every time I see it.

Given that this was drawn/designed by someone who makes their professional living as an artist I find I quite amazing how little consideration has been given to the clothes/base colour match (or mis-match in this case). Even allowing for the exceedingly dull choice of mid-blue as a base colour why would you clothe it in purple? These colours don't blend nor to they contrast. The bright petrol-blue of the base colour totally overwhelms the clothing, whilst the metal-gold is lost against the near-identical base colour of the Hissi's belly. The clothes themselves are relatively nice with lots of subtle detailing, but all of that is obliterated when coupled with this base colour. I'd like to see them on other colours - grey, shadow, white maybe - something that will actually allow them to be seen properly.

The eyebrows are ludicrous of course, the artist seemingly oblivious to the shape/contours of the Hissi's face and eye....the best element BY FAR are the Royal Boy's whiskers. It's just a shame they couldn't be put to better use. Grrrrrr....

Rant over. Thank you.
lar

Post by lar »

I rather like these two. Not enough to own one, but most royals and I don't hit it off so well anyway (except the royal wockies; mmm, mongolia). As far as I can tell, they look very traditional European royal. I know others have pointed to an Asian/Shenkuu inspiration, but I just don't see it. The multi-pointed crowns, the violet/indigo and gold color scheme, the girl's veil and poofed cap sleeves--seriously. And I suppose on some level that safeness of Euro-centrism is disappointing, although in its safety it's quite well-done.

I hesitate to second the Aztec sentiment because while the Quetzalcoatl connection would be quite fitting, I would be forever bitter about it if they were Aztec themed and not drinking the blood of their enemies from decapitated skulls. Thus is my dilemma.

Anyway, the eyebrows are bitchin.
Oops, my karma ran over your dogma.