Facebook 'Like' button to be incorporated into some pages

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Kantark

Facebook 'Like' button to be incorporated into some pages

Post by Kantark »

New Features wrote:In the next few days, we'll be adding Facebook "Like" functionality to parts of Neopets. (Specifically, the homepage, the Games Room, and a few other games.) What this means is that, whenever you see the Facebook "thumbs up" button, you can click on it to like the content on that page. There will also be a link to the Neopets Facebook page in the footer so you can join our shenanigans if you want.

If you don't have a Facebook account, or just don't want to use the feature, you can turn it off in your preferences. You also won't see any Facebook functionality if you're under 13. For more info, check out the FAQ. (Be sure to read the question about discussing Facebook here on Neopets!)
There are privacy implications with these

Is this something people will use? Personally it's functionality I don't want, and, although the FAQ says you can set a user preference to stop these icons appearing it doesn't mention whether this stops the tracking cookie side of things.

Oh, and we get permission to talk about Facebook on the Neoboards. Happy days!
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Laniv

Re: Facebook 'Like' button to be incorporated into some page

Post by Laniv »

Oh no oh no oh NO. I can't escape the "like" button anywhere now.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

UGH. I really hate the Facebook stuff on other sites. I do not want to connect everything I do online! I have a Chrome extension that removes it from all non-FB pages, which is great. I will certainly be turning it off in my Neo preferences as well.
Madge

Post by Madge »

I was furious until they said we could turn it off in our user preferences. Then I was merely annoyed.

I'm curious about the wider implications of this - they don't want people revealing personal information about themselves, or even, god forbid, photos of themselves, but if there's some way to link a neopets account with a facebook account won't having facebook updates or something transfer onto neopets be the next step? Being able to post about your neopets account/habitarium into your friends feed, farmville style?

Is there really anything more tacky than having "like" functionality on every webpage in the universe?
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I was furious until they said we could turn it off in our user preferences. Then I was merely annoyed.

I'm curious about the wider implications of this - they don't want people revealing personal information about themselves, or even, god forbid, photos of themselves, but if there's some way to link a neopets account with a facebook account won't having facebook updates or something transfer onto neopets be the next step? Being able to post about your neopets account/habitarium into your friends feed, farmville style?

Is there really anything more tacky than having "like" functionality on every webpage in the universe?

(Sorry, I just had to do that :P)
Madge

Post by Madge »

I swear Jazzy if you put Like on Neocolours I will use my Macro-Like to like EVERYTHING on your user page and give you at LEAST 1 notification. FOREVER.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

Interesting links Kantark, thank you! Except the temptation to "Like" both of them for sheer irony's sake is very very strong.

Information like that makes me wonder why I use Facebook - they continually disappoint me and not in the relatively innocuous way Neopets does.

Permission to talk about Facebook on the boards is very interesting... I'm really curious to see where that will lead!
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Im not seeing the 'like' button on Neopets o.O
Image Image
ImageImage
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I think it's just announced that they will be adding it, not that they have yet. So in a few days, you might see it? I dunno, I am in Kentucky and my password is securely stashed in California, so I can't check for myself. Heh.
Image Image
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Snort :) at Jazzy's like button. That was some tea that almost went up my nose!

I will be turning this off, just like I haven't linked my subeta and facebook account. Subeta and neo are an escape from reality, I don't need them to interact on that level, thanks so much.
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

I loled, Jazzy :P.

I'll turn this off, too. I agree with Madge in that I was furious until I read that you could turn it off. Geez, Facebook is everywhere nowadays, isn't it? x_x
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

oh, okay, I thought it was already up.

I think this is just to see what is most liked on the site, than anything else..its like feedback, without the emails.
Image Image
ImageImage
Faun

Post by Faun »

Eh, I'll turn it off. It doesn't bother me that much, but I don't really see the point. What do they gain from adding this in? It's not like it was highly in demand.
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
sitkabear

Post by sitkabear »

Madge wrote:I swear Jazzy if you put Like on Neocolours I will use my Macro-Like to like EVERYTHING on your user page and give you at LEAST 1 notification. FOREVER.
I lol'd.

I think the like button is a terrible idea. For me neopets is one of my many guilty pleasures and the last thing I want is letting my friends/family knowing I play it. =/ I also think it's cheesy that you can 'like' individual games, I think they're going to go overboard and put like buttons on everything. -waits to see-

I am excited that we can say facebook on the boards now though. (:
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

For me it's a non-issue. I "liked" Neopets on Facebook awhile ago. I play it, I like it, and lots of people on my facebook know that I play. They all play farmville and would be sending me endless farm updates if I didn't have it blocked, so who should really be embarrassed? But actually I am not embarrassed for them or for myself either. This is a good step for Neopets, I think. They've been making quite a few changes recently, and anything that pushes Neopets further into public awareness is good for the site. It's a much more competitive internet world than it was 10 years ago, with lots of mindless games competing for our time, and Neopets needs this chip thrown in the ring. It can't afford to ignore facebook.

This is pretty innocuous and with the option to turn it off, seems like a silly thing to get upset about.