Shopkeeper listing

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
chocolatefairy13

Shopkeeper listing

Post by chocolatefairy13 »

On the original Neocolours there was a shopkeeper database, which I found very useful.

I was wondering if there could be one here, sorting Neopets shopkeepers by color, species, etc.

Sometimes I want to look through JUST say, "cloud" shopkeepers without having to go through Neo's mess of a shopkeeper database or having to view source and search for the word "cloud."

I've come across this problem many times, and I cannot find a nice list like that of the old NC.

Oh, and for those who don't remember:

http://web.archive.org/web/200411102208 ... eepers.cgi
Settingshadow

Post by Settingshadow »

I like *this* from the webarchives:
Image[/img]
EofS

Post by EofS »

*Makes wibbly-wobbly secret noises*

This post does not exist.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

Well...

Right now it could be feasable, but I was talking about it with Jazzy a bit, and she seems to think that my plan of manually catagorizing 1634 shopkeepers would be a bit of a pain.

So it is on hold until I either bother to learn the PHP to read read webpages and automatically sort the shop keepers, talk to Joeno about it, or go ahead and recruit minions without Jazzy's blessing.

*is smothered by EofS while talking about the top secret plans*
Happy
Location: South East Asia Listening to: One Fine Day Feeling: Excited

Post by Happy »

I really like that feature and nobody else has that feature. The listing on neopets is so hard to go through.
ImageImage
Set by Maniac (PPT) // Wooble by MM
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

I've added it to the list of stuff to do. If someone gets around to it first, great, but it'll be done some day ;)
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Yeah, I imagine it would take an eon to go through all those shopkeepers manually. x_X I wish TNT would organize them better than having them in one humongous list like that.

Still, it would be hard to have any sort of script do it for you because I'm sure a lot of the filenames are misleading or incorrect. Though I suppose it could group the majority ones and you can do the odd ones by hand...hmm.

Either way, I'd like to see it back too, whenever it can be managed. It was a nice reference to have.
Image Image
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

The list on the Create/Edit shop page has all of them listed in the format "PETNAME - DESCRIPTION", so a first seperation shouldn't be too difficult.

Other than that, I've already got an administration interface that I'm going to need volunteers for, and ten people categorizing them will go through the shopkeepers a lot faster than one person alone.

More information on that last part soon, when some other features that I need some help with are finished.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Sure, there are 1600 shopkeepers, but if you got 16 volunteers (I'd volunteer) that's 100 per person, which shouldn't be a big deal.

The only problem is having a person or people in charge of KEEPING it updated.

That and the coding and stuff. :-)
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

I'd like to volunteer when it is ready. Not only do I have time to kill, but I enjoy doing that stuff. *pokes spreadsheet with 809 Poke'mon on it that took me 3 days to make*
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

This is what I have up and running. Three random shopkeepers on the front page. You can view 50 shopkeepers at a time. The first species listing doesnt work but for Acara, and the second listing is only a PHP code generator so I don't have to code each one my hand, so you can ignore that.

At home, I also have the script up for a caption contest viewer that works pretty much the same way, 50 at a time, small files with links to the large image versions, but I guess I haven't updated my online host in a while.

And I've been contemplating knocking up a collectable card finder that works in the same way but havent gotten around to it.

So, yes. I'm sure Joeno will be flabbergasted at my PHP (but he can't see it unless I send him the files so nyah) skillz but they work. :P
EofS

Post by EofS »

Wingsrising wrote:Sure, there are 1600 shopkeepers, but if you got 16 volunteers (I'd volunteer) that's 100 per person, which shouldn't be a big deal.
Mmm, that's what I had been proposing. But I think we then got bogged down in the mechanics of how you specify who does which. If I recall correctly the way tiel wanted to do it, I thought was completely impractical, the way I wanted to do it she couldn't work out how to input the data. Or something. And that's where we last left it.
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

Who does which should be fairly trivial: one list of all shopkeepers with Edit links, one list of shopkeepers not yet checked by a human (but with automated data generated from the shop script), and possibly a "Give me a random one to tag" link.

Use an SQL LIKE for tag searches, or just create an additional table for it (the latter being harder to maintain but faster in searches). Pet references can, if uploaded to the main site, be included by referencing that, and similar things could happen with caption contests.

One of the things that I'd really like to see in the (far) future that might tie in with this is that I'd like to see NC become an actual, larger pet/colour database, where, if you wanted to see what Ogrin characters they have currently created, you can just search the CCG or Neopedia index for it, and find it through the associated index - count how many Yellow Usuls have been featured already, stuff like that. It's just a random "maybe it'll be done in 2100" idea, but just to give an idea.

Anyway, away from the dreaming and to the now. Don't worry, I'm not easily flabbergasted with someone's code, and if I were I wouldn't tell you. Meh. Anyway, I've got the feeling we'll need some better ways to distribute/maintain/update code, but there's still a lot of stuff to arrange there which'll need to be discussed further.