Woodland (!) and Eventide Koi

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Woodland (!) and Eventide Koi

Post by thelonetiel »

The Koi can now be painted Woodland and Eventide at the Rainbow Pool!

Image Image

Woodland is really interesting - definitely a play on kelp forests, but with almost Lionfish and seahorse/leafy seadragon influences.

I don't actually *like* it, the colors are too browngreen for me to want to look at for any length of time, but props to the artist for making it interesting!

Eventide has lots of the dark blue and stars I really like. This is a good example of a pet that would look 10x better if they took a little more time with the gradient to make it go along the lines of the fins rather than be perfectly horizontal. But not too bad I guess? (What kinds of sunsets show up under the ocean?)

I like the tips of the earfin things being red, and the pattern along the back being the light blue, it works well on the forehead.

Also clothes, but clothes on fish are absurd so I don't have commentary.
Image Image
_neo_kami_91

Re: Woodland (!) and Eventide Koi

Post by _neo_kami_91 »

Woodland's okay, but it's not really woodland-ish, since it's resembling kelp and kelp isn't found in the woods.

Eventide's just meh, getting bored of the colour now. Everything looks the same.
niklnip

Post by niklnip »

I don't like Woodland, honestly. It just looks too.... Busy.... Like there's too much going on with it...

Eventide's alright, but they did that thing with its fin again... I do like the amount of stars though.
ImageImage
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I love woodland. The colors are very nice, and it has a lot of nice details. Props for extra creativity. Helps it stand out from all the early cookie-cutter woodlands. I wouldn't mind having one.

Eventide is... okay? I actually love the top part with the different gradients helping to differentiate the back splotches from the fins. It has a very nice effect. BUT I absolutely abhor the red/yellow gradient at the bottom. I always have, and for me that's been a huge detractor to how I react to this color. It always just looks so lazy and slapped on top. Plus, I'm incredibly bored of the color. It's just been showing up too much.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Woodland, top effort. I appreciate the thought that's gone into making this one appropriate to a Koi's natural surroundings, the colours are muted but there's enough variation to stop it looking too monochromatic. The eyes are maybe a little too similar to the colour of the body surrounding them, making them look a little flat. Otherwise an interesting variant on the Woodland theme.

I still don't really enjoy the colours used in the lower half of the Eventide design, but generally the Koi is a good example of this pet colour and sticks to the pattern we've become used to.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Aard_Rinn

Post by Aard_Rinn »

So, I just got a SLM, and today was the first time I ever got a change with it other than stats. I made a Koi yesterday to morph... guess what colour it turned?

WOODLAND!

Little Zataaria is gonna stay like this a bit. I actually really like the murky brown. I think the eyes should be clearer, but all in all, adorable!
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

Woodland - This one's rather well done! Personally I like the natural greens and browns, though I can see how they wouldn't appeal to everyone. It has some nice details and it truly does look like kelp. My only problem with it is the whiskers - why are they so long? It makes the pet look busy and rather awkward. Perhaps the eyes could stand out a bit more too. But overall, a nice, logical color.

Eventide - The top half of this looks great - they managed to keep the Koi's spots in tact and there's some very nice colors and shading. The red tips at the end of the whiskers are a very nice addition. The bottom half is where it falls apart - it's an obvious, straight-across gradient that prevents the fins from being consistent with one another, and the colors don't particularly bend with the body shape at all. Perhaps some clever customization could save this color.

Overall, not a bad Koi day.