FAQ questions?

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

FAQ questions?

Post by Jazzy »

I'm going to write an FAQ over the next few days, and I wanted to know what questions you'd like included. We're keeping the general BBCode faq, so questions about [img] tags and so on aren't needed- it's basically going to cover forum etiquette and what not to do, that sort of thing.

(and before anyone leaps at me for the PIN number-style title, FAQ here is a misnomer as it is- it isn't frequently asked questions, it's questions you wish were asked frequently but actually aren't; it's not as if we actually get people asking "can I double post?" or "can I create a second account for the sole purpose of being a bitchy nuisance?")
Last edited by Jazzy on 26 Apr 2006 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

The old FAQ, for reference... :)

I'd like to see something explaining, as the old one did, our attitude toward TNT and how we differ from a lot of fansites. It probably won't stop the debates but it'll be something we can point to.

Maybe a little bit talking about inside jokes and references that people tend to use, that new people wouldn't understand. I'm not sure what ought to be included though.

And then obviously the basic things about "don't be a jerk, don't expect everyone to agree with you, don't randomly insult people, don't double-post." And avatar/signature size limits should be in there.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

Perhaps we could include some sort of guideline as to when it's appropriate to bump an old topic, and when it's best to make a new one (particularly in New Colours). I know there's no hard and fast rule here.

It might be good to put the av and sig size guidelines in the FAQ- wasn't there an example sized set at some point?

And maybe something about spoiler and NSFW warnings- putting them in the title of the topic or the image links (I guess that also goes for images that some people might find upsetting- insects and so on- where it's a good idea not just to post a link that says 'cool stuff' but actually say what it is). And also that white text for spoilers doesn't work when we have a grey background :D
Neopets wishlists: here
FaerieInGrey

Post by FaerieInGrey »

The Purple Mafia seems to actually be a topic that is frequently questioned, so perhaps explain what it is?

(Come to think of it, I kind of want one of those little buttons...)

Something about where things go? Like Neopets stuff does not go in Chit-Chat...

I don't know. I'm no good at things like this.
Anza

Post by Anza »

FaerieInGrey wrote: (Come to think of it, I kind of want one of those little buttons...)
Feel free to take the one in my sig.

http://mars.walagata.com/w/anza/purplemafia.gif

You can even hotlink it if you want, I have plenty of bandwidth. Credit is to Jazzy.
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

If there isn't a comment already that I'm just overlooking in the old FAQ, perhaps a note can be placed saying to read any 'rule/guideline' stickies of a board before posting or creating a thread. I know, it's wishful thinking that people will do such, but a gal can hope.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets
Settingshadow

Post by Settingshadow »

Maybe something about the frequency of debates and controversial topics around here.

That just about anything can and will be discussed and that nearly anything can and will turn into a debate and that no hard feelings are intended.
anzuronamin

Post by anzuronamin »

The fact that there are homosexuals on the forum, and that we do take it offensive when people say "faggot" or any other absurd terms as that, maybe? I just think that would stop a bunch of flames, perhaps.

*takes a Purple Mafia button* Thanks!
Trick
Mad Cavy Lady

Post by Trick »

Maybe a reminder that if you post a topic in the wrong place, by mistake or you double post you can delete your last post as long as nobody has posted under/replied.

That if you are posting as a guest (whether you are a member to or not) try and use the same name so we know who you are - obviously mods can tell but it's nice for us wee people to know too =D

I believe on the old forum there was a problem with people pretending to be other new users (ie having and posting from more than one account). If this is undesirable perhaps we should have it in the FAQ too =)

Can't think of anything else really that hasn't been mentioned - this forum isn't exactly strict, yay =D
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Maybe something about trying to restrain oneself to creating only one or two different topics per day, especially if it's not an announcment of a new color or some such?

Spamming the forum isn't just running around making one sentence replies to weeks old topics - there are other ways to do that too.

And obviously everyone makes multiple topics occasionally; it's when it happens day after day after day that it becomes tiresome - and a waste of bandwidth.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
gidget

Post by gidget »

anzuronamin wrote:The fact that there are homosexuals on the forum, and that we do take it offensive when people say "faggot" or any other absurd terms as that, maybe?
In fact, let's advise checking pretty much any kind of prejudices, discrimination, and hate speech at the door. While we have a lot of opinionated people here, I like the fact that we also have a community where pretty much everyone tries to respect the differences between one other. I find it never hurts to encourage open mindedness. :)
Figment
Girl Anachronism

Post by Figment »

Kamil wrote:Maybe something about trying to restrain oneself to creating only one or two different topics per day, especially if it's not an announcment of a new color or some such?

Spamming the forum isn't just running around making one sentence replies to weeks old topics - there are other ways to do that too.

And obviously everyone makes multiple topics occasionally; it's when it happens day after day after day that it becomes tiresome - and a waste of bandwidth.
I definitely agree on this one. It might just be the phobic in me speaking, but I personally am a little shocked and overwhelmed when I see over ten topics posted by one person in the span of a week or so. I'm not sure what a reasonable limit is, but double digits is definitely pushing it.

I like most of the other suggestions people have given. I think it definitely needs to be emphasized that debates or even arguments do not equal vicious personal attacks of any sort. It's just the way things tend to be done.

Hmm, what else.. try to make sure you're logged in before you post? This is obvious, but it happens a lot. I always "fix" posts like these, editing the guest post so that its contents go into the inevitable "Oops, that was me" and then deleting the guest post. I'm not sure if people are aware that I do this -- it's one of my small obsessive compulsions -- or if it's worth mentioning so that people aren't alarmed when it happens, but it is fairly frequent. Maybe we can have a section devoted to guests and guest posts, and this could be a part of it, as well as Trick's comment on guest names, and possibly something about forums that are and are not visible to guests...
Settingshadow

Post by Settingshadow »

Seeing Figment post reminds me -- something on roles in the forum.

It took me ever when I got her to realise that people with custom titles where mods, and even longer to figure out what Jazzy could do vs. the mods.

Also, now with Kamil owning the domain, and Joeno running the site, it'd be nice for new members to have a good idea about to whom to go with various concerns.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Settingshadow wrote:Seeing Figment post reminds me -- something on roles in the forum.

It took me ever when I got her to realise that people with custom titles where mods, and even longer to figure out what Jazzy could do vs. the mods.

Also, now with Kamil owning the domain, and Joeno running the site, it'd be nice for new members to have a good idea about to whom to go with various concerns.
My part's easy to remember: I don't do jack. =D

I just had webspace with phpbb capabilities and bandwidth to burn (but not waste *points again to the topic limit comment*) and am old enough to have easy access to a credit card - and we needed all of the above, so it seemed like a good idea to use mine.

*waves at discussion* Carry on.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Settingshadow

Post by Settingshadow »

Yes, but if the forum suddenly went down, you'd probably be the first person I'd ask what happened.