Achievements and tales woe?

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.

Should we bring AaToW back?

yes
62%
no
38%

Total votes: 66

Enriana
Human Avatar: 155464

Post by Enriana »

rebelheart wrote:I like it the way it is. And I also remember we already had this discussion when the forum was first created and we decided to let it be the way it is. *shrugs*
Yeah, I'm fine the way it is, too. Though maybe that's because I go by "see new posts since last visit" or whatever it's called and not forum by forum, but it's not an issue at all for me.

If it's bothering people that much, though, I don't have an issue with the AaToW board coming back. Agreed that the posts are more substancial now and I like that, and agreed that there's only so many ways to say "congrats" and it's been better with Misc only. And that was a scrambled blurt of thoughts. uhh. Going back to my "fine how it is" thingy.
Mac

Post by Mac »

I personally would love to see AaToW back - that was my favorite board here and I was saddened to see it gone.
rottweilerchika

Post by rottweilerchika »

I wasn't on the original board to see it, but it seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Of course, then there's always the classical "Oh, woe is me, I'm being ignored because I keep posting every bloody random even that I've ever gotten!" sort of posts. I'm an admin on a Peo/Uni forum and god knows we get enough of that sort.

So it'd have to be that you kill anyone who spams. :D And I mean that in the nicest way possible.
i suck a lot okay
Settingshadow

Post by Settingshadow »

Wingsrising wrote: As for making rules about what is or is not too minor to post: I don't really like that idea. I can see it starting arguments or creating hard feelings: who wants to be told that an achievement important to them is too trivial to post?
I'm obviously having a little trouble expressing what I mean. I in no way meant that there should be formal, rigid rules. Rather, I think that there should be an etiquette of sorts. It is known to all of the members that tey should only post "major" achievements or woes -- each person decides what is big enough for him or herself. But it is expressed through social convention that posting things that the poster considers less important is bad form.
TCD

Post by TCD »

I as well liked reading AaToW myself...in fact, it was basically what introduced me to the forums....so my .02 says that we should have it.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Settingshadow wrote:
Wingsrising wrote: As for making rules about what is or is not too minor to post: I don't really like that idea. I can see it starting arguments or creating hard feelings: who wants to be told that an achievement important to them is too trivial to post?
I'm obviously having a little trouble expressing what I mean. I in no way meant that there should be formal, rigid rules. Rather, I think that there should be an etiquette of sorts. It is known to all of the members that tey should only post "major" achievements or woes -- each person decides what is big enough for him or herself. But it is expressed through social convention that posting things that the poster considers less important is bad form.
Sort of like, there's no rule about how many posts you can make a day, but we can tell when someone is posting too much.

Yes, I agree with that. I certainly don't want to see people posting that they got a codestone from Tombola. (I almost typed, "got a Tombola from codestone: I need sleep.)
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

I said before when we had this discussion, and I'll say it again, that I really liked AaToW. Now, as has been said, "How many different ways can you say congratulations?" and there aren't that many ways, it's true. It never bothered me to post an achievement and get 3 or so replies; occasionally an achievement would spark a discussion and that's great too, most of the time they just passed by the wayside. So maybe I didn't post a fifth "congratulations", I still read nearly every post and enjoyed them.

I think, also, a sticky would encourage more people to post trivial things like "I found a codestone while playing Neoquest 2!" But I think the current forum discourages a lot of achievements/tales of woe, and I don't like that either because I liked them.

As far as etiquette goes, when people find a thread REALLY trivial, they let it be known! As we've seen. :D I would never read a stickied post; first of all, those things get really really long, and any conversation about the achievements (sometimes even unrelated, but good discussions) that might have been spawned in a thread would just not occur in a sticky designated for only one purpose. So I am absolutely AGAINST a sticky, that would be much worse than the present.

I personally don't see what the problem was in the first place that it needed to be changed. If people weren't interested in those topics, they can just skip that forum-- I don't even know what werewolf is all about, I was happy to see it move out of chit chat into it's own forum, as it made it even easier for me to just skip those threads. If that can have it's own forum, why not AaToW?
Deku

Post by Deku »

Can we have a poll then or something? There's like...a sortof split opinion.
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

I would be all for AaToW to come back. You may not be able to say congratulations or sorry in many different ways, but it would be much better than having them all clustered together in Misc. I would also like to see a poll go up for this topic.
Wysteria

Post by Wysteria »

AaToW wasn't a place that sparked much discussion, true. It was, however, a great read. Even now, those topics are what I check on first when I visit the forum. I even went back and reread old ones when I ran out of reading material a few times. (It's how I ran into the concept of wizstocking too, for which I am eternally grateful.) I like knowing what's going on in Neolife without stalking a hundred people's lookups every day.

At the moment, I tend to treat Misc as 'AoToW with some other stuff I don't want to bother with'.

So seperating the boards sound like a good option - and I haven't seen anyone arguing that AaToW topics belong in Misc.
Bless my whiskers. {Formerly Grey Cloud.}
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I hated Aatow because I felt obligated to post when no one else did. Seeing tons of threads with 0 replies made me crazy. There are times when absolutely cannot contain myself when I think something has happened to me is the greatest thing in the world, no matter how trivial it seems to anyone else, but the majority of the threads there didn't give me the feeling that that's why people posted. I don't want to see a bazillion "I found a codestone!" threads.

I'm still not even certain why games and polls had to be added when Epilogue, the home of the biggest random game on the site, pretty much has its own forum. There's only two posts there that actually have anything to do with writing outside of WW and rp and it seems like writing could be tucked into Art without anyone noticing.

But if Games and Polls has to say, and people really want Aatow back, I'd rather see them combined into a miscellaneous fluff forum rather than add another.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Huh? AaToW has nothing whatsoever to do with "What are your top 5 favorite houseplants" or whatever word game they're playing now. Among other things, one is Neopets related and one clearly isn't.

If you want to move Werewolf to the Games and Poles forum that a separate issue.

I see no reason to change the way things are now but would strongly oppose merging making people post their achievements in a Games and Polls board.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

My point is I don't want it brought back. I don't have a problem with the current setup, people post things that are generally interesting, but the really random junk like finding codestones or a slice of pizza on the floor I'd rather not see have it's own forum at all. It doesn't really matter that it's Neopets related or not if it's that pointless.
anzuronamin

Post by anzuronamin »

Jazzy wrote:*shrug* I personally hated AaToW. There's only so many ways you can say "congrats!"- and there was a reason AaToW had the ratio of fewest replies to topics made out of all of the forums. Even the almost-dead mod forum had more.
What about the writing board?
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I think it averaged more replies per post even though there were much fewer posts overall. It only got to a page, two maybe?