Achievements and tales woe?

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.

Should we bring AaToW back?

yes
62%
no
38%

Total votes: 66

Spivsy

Achievements and tales woe?

Post by Spivsy »

Could we please have the Acheivements And Tales Of Woe board back? Because Misc is dreadfully cluttered at the moment.
Last edited by Spivsy on 31 May 2006 08:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dead Webby

Post by Dead Webby »

Yeah, that would be really good. I was on last night, not that many topics were new on Misc, then when I came online this morning the whole thing was cluttered with Acheivement/Woe topics, and it hurt my eyes. O.O
Thanks VanillaCoke for the Set.
Deku

Post by Deku »

Yes, definitely. There's been an explosion of threads in there lately.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

*shrug* I personally hated AaToW. There's only so many ways you can say "congrats!"- and there was a reason AaToW had the ratio of fewest replies to topics made out of all of the forums. Even the almost-dead mod forum had more.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I think something needs to be done about the Misc. board. AaToW was one of the busiest on the old forum, and now that it's been merged with other things it's gotten much more crowded. So I'm for a split of the board.
Spivsy

Post by Spivsy »

Perhaps a poll?
Trick
Mad Cavy Lady

Post by Trick »

I quite like having it all on Misc, I think it was a little dispiriting how often threads on AaToW had little to no replies. And it seemed to encourage a lot of fairly pointless threads too whereas with it on Misc people wait until they have a few events or one big one.

And it means there are more replies that often turn into discussion anyway. And to be honest I don't think it's that busy anyway, not much more busy than Chit Chat I'd think? Just my opinion though ^__^
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Bringing back AaToW would result in yet another whole forum I have to try and ignore, and nobody wants to incovenience me now do they?
Dead Webby

Post by Dead Webby »

Cheese wrote:Bringing back AaToW would result in yet another whole forum I have to try and ignore, and nobody wants to incovenience me now do they?
As opposed to trying to make sense of a cluttered forum and ignoring most of it anyway?

Hmm, I see Trick's point, but still. Maybe we should just make a rule or something that says 'try not to make a new topic' every time you get a random event. :? Either way, something needs to be done about how cluttered Misc. is.
Thanks VanillaCoke for the Set.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Well, perhaps we could have a sticky for more minor achievements/woes- random events, getting to a certain number of avatars, getting [bad colour] from the lab- and let people post topics for bigger things, like a new paintjob and gallery completion? Would that work?
Madge

Post by Madge »

Yeah, I really loved the misc forum on the old forum because it always had interesting posts when it did have posts - they were like, ponderings about statistics of such and such, and stuff.

I don't know, it's midnight, I'm not thinking straight. But Misc had such interesting topics and AaToW sort of was full of all sorts of insignificant topics but I think there is probably a better way to combat it, like having a sticky for the more minor things and stuff.

I probably should not be posting at midnight.
Settingshadow

Post by Settingshadow »

I agree with Dead Webby and with Madge (I think).

For me it's a lot easier to ignore something if it's in a forum all to itself, much like I am now gleefully ignoring the fluff forum. I actually like AaToW, but if I didn't, I'd prefer it to be isolated. Then when Miscellaneous was bumped I'd know it was something I was interested in.

I think the problem with a sticky is that it would encourage posting of small AaToW, whereas right now *most* people post big stuff -- expensive paint jobs, FFQs, expensive avatar or battledome acheivements, getting frozen -- the sort of stuff that wouldn't go on the sticky, anyway.

So I'd like to see it in its own forum; failing that I think we should establish a decorum for the threshold of posting an acheivement or woe.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Dammit, I just accidently deleted a really lengthy post. Take two:

I don't have a problem with the way things are now, but I'd much rather see a separate forum for AaToW then a sticky. I like the fact that people are actually allowed to talk about things that happen to them on Neopets here, as opposed to PPT where anything but a hacking or freezing has to go on a giant sticky. I never read that giant sticky, and I suspect most other people don't, either.

If PPT is any example, having a sticky also seems to encourage people to post very minor achievements or woes, like "I got a codestone from Tombola today!" rendering the thing even more pointless.

I also like the fact that having separate threads lets me pick which things I want to read about: call me bad, but I'm not necessarily all that interested in hearing about a new petpet, but I like to read about Battledome and Neoquest achievements.

As for making rules about what is or is not too minor to post: I don't really like that idea. I can see it starting arguments or creating hard feelings: who wants to be told that an achievement important to them is too trivial to post? For example, some people might consider just moving up a rank in DoN too minor to post, but for me reaching the 200 boost and beating the Ghostkerchief was the culmination of months of effort for me, as well as more Neopoints than aquiring and painting my Maraquan Draik. Or, sometimes people post about getting new labs. I just got an new lab myself and considered it too minor to mention, but for some people with a smaller Neopian income than me, saving for a lab could be a big deal and months of effort. So who am I to say that's too minor?

Dunno. If it were a big problem, I might feel differently, but I'm not sure that it is. On the first page of Misc we have:

4 Fountain Faerie quests
4 Hackings or Freezings
1 major glitch
1 major lab zap woe
1 cheat on a trade
1 complaining about an adoption
1 new lookup
2 new petpets
1 dream pet aquisition
1 new lab
1 NQ II completion
1 DoN achievement
1 Lenny Condundrum achievement
1 accountment of birthday presents

That seems like an acceptable ratio of minor to major achievements/woes to me.

It's not as if all the Misc psots are exciting or deep, either. :pokes yet another suggestive stuff on Neopets thread:
FaerieInGrey

Post by FaerieInGrey »

I loved AaToW. It was my favourite forum by far. Also, something about the Misc. forum almost promised that it would be... out of the ordinary. Since there is a New Features forum, a New Colours forum, and (was) an AaToW forum, what went in Misc. was almost always something different and often interesting.

And no sticky! That actually saddens me. I don't know, when I had my whole Neopian Times horror story, I'm not sure I would have bothered saying it at all on a sticky. And it felt good to tell the story to the general public.

I also agree with what Wingsrising said about deciding what is and is not minor. The lab map example was very good. When you get something that it took you months to save for, be it something like a lab map or your dream pet, you put enough work into it for it to be "major".

My opnions of course, but I would much prefer everything just being jumbled in with Misc. to a sticky.
Last edited by FaerieInGrey on 30 May 2006 08:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

I like it the way it is. And I also remember we already had this discussion when the forum was first created and we decided to let it be the way it is. *shrugs*
LΟL