Petpet Finder!

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Bacon

Petpet Finder!

Post by Bacon »

Why don't you use the same coding you use for finding Pets, to find petpets? I don't recon it'd be too hard, since you already have coding...
Anza

Post by Anza »

um... no. Pet URLs are all in a certain format. Petpet URLs are all over the place.
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

Ohh, that does make it hard...How about Neopets items...you could log all the different URLS
Mac

Post by Mac »

that'd take a really long time, especially if we were going to do items. and it wouldn't really be neccesary - neoitems does that already.
Anza

Post by Anza »

They're all over the place too!

The scripting works by checking out set combinations - if there is not set combinations the script won't know what to check!

Both Neoitems and Petpet Central are manually updated.
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

First of all, Neopets doesn't allow us a proper way to do so. Pets always have the exact same url pattern: http://images.neopets.com/pets/$pet_$colour_baby.gif, also known as $preurl.$_REQUEST['pet']."_".$_REQUEST['colour'].$posturl . (Yes, that makes sense once you start dealing with different poses).

However, let's take a random petpet - the Albat. Its plain URL - the one we'll have when we want to start detecting it, is http://images.neopets.com/items/med_pet_albat.gif

As you can see, there's no colour included in that anywhere. A pattern does emerge when you look at its other colours: http://images.neopets.com/items/albat_pirate.gif
These two URLs are not, however, freely convertible into each other, so I'd have to starting adding and guessing a lot of data.

That guessing, however, cannot be done in any reasonable way by the system, so instead I or someone else will need to maintain that list of petpets with the name, the URL for the 'main colour', the official colour associated with that main colour, and the URL for the other colours. Half of this information won't be known when a petpet first gets released, complicating matters even further, and removing about half the possible combinations from being detected.

Add to that that there are many more petpets than pets, and they are released faster than new pet species are, and you get what seems to me like a maintenance nightmare. And the beauty of the current system is that at the moment it can be taken care of without any human interference.

Another problem is that checking for new pets alone takes up something like 15 minutes when it's a tad busy on the site, and is rather error-prone that way. If petpets had to be added to that, whose possible combinations far exceeds that of pets, I'm afraid it might never get finished.

And as has been said while I've been typing out this message, items are just as wild, and would probably require complicated stuff with the trading post, user shops and auctions if I even wanted to get close to implementing something similar.

Besides, there's already PetPet Central, which appears to be taking care of these needs quite well already, and is run by one of our moderators, so why not check that site?