RL Achievements and ToW-split 2/16/09

Non-neopets general discussion.
Usul_Princess

Re: RL Achievements and ToW

Post by Usul_Princess »

bonecrivain wrote:I HAVE A NEW PRESIDENT!

It's not really a personal achievement...but...well. I'm still excited. =D
Heheh, I have the same sentiment. :)
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I'd like to nominate this topic being it's own thread, since I'd like to comment on how badly read that poem was.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

Haha, maybe you can start a new thread? I don't really want a topic about the new President to start with me just saying "wheeeee happy!" and I'm too lazy to edit in more productive comments. But I'll probably reply to yours later on! =)
Madge

Post by Madge »

That reminds me, though, that my Mum bet me $100 that Obama will be dead within 4 months of presidency. (She said when she made the bet that she didn't expect to win and didn't mind giving me a $100 so there we go).

My grandfather, for his part, was adamant that he wouldn't last three months because he's black.

Seriously, wtf? Are there any real threats of assassination for him? My entire family seems convinced that there's a cell of racist americans who would want to shoot him. Srzly?!
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Mostly Achievement:

I got into Law/International Relations at Griffith University in Brisbane!! And even better, I discovered tonight that I got an Equity Scholarship as well!! On top of that, I signed on to a house as well and I'll be moving 8 hours away next weekend!!

It's happened so fast and I'm absolutely shitting myself, heh. I'll be pretty much by myself in a big city so far away from home. :S
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Congrats, Jamie! How long did it take for you to get in there? You seem to fly through school fast.

Madge wrote:
Seriously, wtf? Are there any real threats of assassination for him? My entire family seems convinced that there's a cell of racist americans who would want to shoot him. Srzly?!
Yes. Or at least the threats, and casual desires to see him die being discussed on TV have made people do something about it. His Secret Service protection is like quadruple the size of normal, and had to be enforced while he was running against McCain. No one has ever needed it before they were in office. Second, a lot of people compare him to JFK because of how adored he was, how he brought radical positive change to the country, and he was indeed assassinated. There's always been an unwritten rule for most minorities (of any race) that "You can be whatever you wanna be....but not President."

Someone has already attempted to assassinate him once while he was campaigning. (In Ohio I believe.) It didn't get much coverage, because people wanted to protect him, but I had heard the story. Even Hilary has hinted at the fact that he could be. Yes, the racism really is that bad over here when it means you're going to be putting a minority in the most honorable position in the country. That's why when he won, people actually cried tears of joy for his victory, because it's generally unfathomable to believe that a black family can hold such an honorable position given the oppression and history, and it watching it on TV live felt so good that you helped kick racism in the face if you voted for him.
ImageImage

Miguel

Post by Miguel »

Usul_Princess wrote:
Madge wrote:
Yes. Or at least the threats, and casual desires to see him die being discussed on TV have made people do something about it. His Secret Service protection is like quadruple the size of normal, and had to be enforced while he was running against McCain. No one has ever needed it before they were in office. Second, a lot of people compare him to JFK because of how adored he was, how he brought radical positive change to the country, and he was indeed assassinated. There's always been an unwritten rule for most minorities (of any race) that "You can be whatever you wanna be....but not President."
Whilst I wouldn't like to see someone try, if they do I think they'll have a hard time: The gun car to accompany Cadillac One, it's got firepower.
Many thanks to EofS for the avatar and signature images.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Apparently he was wearing bullet-resistant clothing as well.
Alecko
Human Avatar: 267595

Post by Alecko »

Just passed my driving test! :D I've had a deposit on a really nice car for a couple of weeks so I'm going to down to the garage in a bit and get the rest of the money paid. *Dances*

I also started my new job last Monday and I'm loving it so far!
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

Achievement: Out of four classes, I got three with super-amazing teachers. Whoo! The other one seems to hate life and just wants everyone to stfu and obey, but the other three are so happy and enjoy what they do so much, eee! Totally makes up for the history teacher being absolutely terrifying.

Looks like all four classes are going to be really, really easy A's. YES.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Woe:

I haven't been here for the past several days because my apartment flooded from the inside.

What was a worrisome freak-leak coming through the kitchen light fixture turned into a massive chunk of wet ceiling falling onto the floor and water covering my kitchen and living room floor. Apparently a pipe had burst, but not because of freezing like would have been expected from the recent temperatures. Thankfully nothing major of mine has been damaged (or not yet been discovered anyway). My poor kitties have had to deal with the stress of living somewhere else temporarily and will for the next few days have to endure the noise and confinement due to more work needing to be done. And I really hope that the water and electrical systems here aren't problematic now. The outlet that my computer cords are plugged into sparked the second time I plugged it back in (the first got no response) and smelled a little funny at first. It seems to be OK now, but I'm constantly peering at it to make sure nothing is really amiss.

I'm also severely hypersensitive, so I hope I don't get terribly ill from all of this. My throat and sinuses are already unhappy with the recent events.

Although I love the place where I grew up and have my horses and get along with my parents, I feel weird when I have to spend several days there. It was nifty being snowed in, as I love snow (but learned long ago that it's no fun for driving). And though spending time in a hotel is fun too, the "new building smell" and chlorine fumes from the indoor pool were bugging me.

At least things are on the mend for me.
chocolatefairy13

Post by chocolatefairy13 »

Woe: I feel terrible today.
I'm all achy and have a low fever and no real appetite. Feels like the Flu, but I don't have the usual sore throat/stuffiness.
I credit the fact that I didn't sleep at all last night, due to a blood sugar issue (hypoglycemia), and I have been taking antibiotics for a urinary tract infection.

So....on a scale of 1-10 I feel like a -7. :(
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Definitely an achievement -- I managed to get all of the technical stuff sorted out and got my new widescreen LCD HDTV attached to the DVD player and DVR with all the right cables and all the right settings, then ordered some HD channels to watch on it. They look amazing. As usual with HDTVs, though, the standard channels actually look worse! Luckily, most of the shows I watch are available in HD.

I also ordered some nice speakers (they glow blue!) to go with it (I find that the built-in LCD TV speakers generally suck). They will look good in my bedroom, which I just redid last week -- painted the walls this color (the lighter blue) and put down golden maple laminate flooring. It looks awesome and I feel very accomplished and happy in my room... a nice start to a new year!
Last edited by Cranberry on 25 Jan 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Achievements! ^_^

Got my computer back in one piece from Geek Squad (Like magic, they fixed it before they had to honor the warranty bind for a new computer :P )

The appeal to erase my math grade from a 2.0 to an audit was approved, but not the competency. I can't really complain, but it's definitely the least they could do considering they screwed me over big time by not telling me about a simple geometry class.
(The GPA went from a 3.25, to a 3.34).

EDIT: Triple!! Today, in my Nintendogs game I unlocked the Jack Russell Terrier book and the Fireman's hat (Dalmation) in the same walk. Those FAQ/hints don't do much. The only thing I saw consistant that I followed was that I fed him 2-3 jerky treats, cleaning up his hair to 'beautiful' having him listen to a music record while petting and playing with him. I spent over 25 hours of time with him over 8 months, and used the 'Action Replay' cheat to get 99,999 trainer points, and it was my oldest dog, Maveric (German shepard male.)
(You should have at least 60,000 trainer points, and have unlocked all the other breeds beforehand. I had about 40K trainer points before cheating.) )

.....I found it on the Lab and friends version. The major thing that seemed relevent was to own the DS game while keeping the same dog for over 6 months. Teach it at least 3 tricks, walk it to max endurance (which can be done in like 3 weeks), and enter it in a few contests. You can suck at them, the game just needs to recognize you're "involved" with your dogs. But other than that, it seems like a random avatar achievement.
ImageImage

Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Awesome achievement: My winter break project, cleaning up this room, is finally complete! It's been a trainwreck for years, with junk piled in random places, and dust everywhere, and no room to actually do anything thanks to a big stupid bed. But now the bed is gone, the junk has been either boxed or thrown away/recycled, and I've dusted everything I could find. Bonuses include making wall space for all the paintings I've collected over the years, my manga shelf going back to the way it was, and everything I could find to organize has been organized! My sewing fabric is all neat, all my pokemon stuff is mostly in one place, and all my pumpkin carving tools are finally in one spot. I have room to sew, practice music, and walk around. About the only woe I can think of in all this is my desk was cleaned and rearranged slightly, so everything's weird and out of place. It's just really nice to have my space nice and neat finally, and a huge achievement for me since I'm generally a disorganized person!