Darigan Wocky

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Darigan Wocky

Post by Huggles »

From Jelly Neo:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

It's red. Yay! I dig the horns, but this is not a case of love at first sight. There doesn't seem to be anything horribly wrong with it like the gelert. The art is on par with the zafara, but the zafara is a bit older. I suppose my gripe this time isn't so much the execution, but the design. I like wockies as much as the next person, save Trick perhaps, but this retains too many of the chubby cuddly features. It's not particularly sleek or menacing, but neither is my beloved Darigan kau. *shrugs*
ImageImage
ImageImage
covet

Post by covet »

I was expecting some purple fluffball with angry eyebrows and.... I think I would have liked that more than this.

It looks a bit weedy and/or goofy, to me. I think the teeth/eyebrow combo is what's making it look like a goofball.

I wouldn't have minded if it <i>was</i> fluffy. I think fluffy and evil are not often enough seen in tandem. This isn't terrible, don't get me wrong. It's not painful by any means. It's just a bit of a "hmm" rather than a "wow!".

Not as bad as it could have been, not as good as it could be.
The Artist Formerly Known As Amneris
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Its mouth looks ridiculous. Its face has no definition, no sculpture. I suppose that's a general wocky feature? I dunno, I imagine them having... y'know... a profile...

It's not purple, but I don't mind purple when it looks good. The best thing I'd say about this is that it's red, and that ain't much.
Image Image
gidget

Post by gidget »

I'm not thrilled with this.

It's not terrible, but it's not a re-imagining of the pet that's all that far from the original. Sure, it's got wing, horns, and a scowl, but it's fwuffy and has the same poses as the original.

It feels rushed--not well thought out. Why not have a mane rather than a ruff? Why not have a straggly, wicked tail?
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I forgot to add a "Meh, whatever" to the end of my post, so I'm putting it here for added effect.
Ava

Post by Ava »

I actually like it. The happy pose is really cool looking. It's not something that I'd rush out to get, but I like the unexpected red color, I like the color of the ruff and the shading that it has, the wings are pretty proportional compared to many other pets, and overall it's not bad at all...has some attitude.

Like I said, it's not a dream pet or anything, but overall I'd say it's one of the better darigans they've had recently.
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

I like this. It's something I've been kind of waiting to see, as one of my first pets ever was a wocky, who I still own but is now an ixi as Dementis needed something a little, well, demented. But he was created specifically to paint fire, back when colorfills (and faerie) were all that we had. Fire was a brand new brush and I just HAD to have a fire wocky. I didn't like the wocky revamp, too cutesy, so Dementis was ixi-fied and darigan'ed, which I knew was perfect for him the moment I first saw it.

This would have worked too! I think it does a really good job of keeping the wocky's character while still being evil, which is good. It's nicely drawn. My complaints are that it looks a little busy and I hate that dusky color of the ruff and wings, makes the whole thing seem muted, and just blah. Which is why I am not planning on trading the darigan ixi look in, even if it does make Dementis look a little bobble-headed.

The more I look at it, the more I HATE that dusky color on this pet. It's not so bad on the Grundo, it's nicely shaded and not so overpowering. It really takes a lot away from the pet here, it's just so bland and distracting.
ladynight6

Post by ladynight6 »

For some reason it makes me think of a little kid that is up to no good... No idea why, but that is what it reminds me of.
The front legs look strange, they are just straight tubes with nails at the end. It makes it look really sluggish and fat. It look too fat in my opinion. It doesnt look menacing...
The only thing I like is the wings. Other than that it can rot in the darkest corners of neopia...
Madge

Post by Madge »

I actually quite like it. It looks kinda cute.

Actually it reminds me of an emo goth kid.
Paint

Post by Paint »

I think it's quite good actually. I love the eyes and expression on the circle pose. Sure, we could've done with a re-draw on some of the battledome poses but I think it's better that it's not sleek and slim and sneakily evil... It would've been too much like the Aisha. And yes, I like the shade of red they've used. So overall, pretty good.

Many thanks to the wonderful Tiel for the set.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

It's not horrible, I'll give it that. But it wasn't what I was hoping for. I'm just not a fan of Darigan, really.

It's nice that it's not purple and the wings don't magically change size. It's sort of a pity that the majority of poses aren't redrawn but having said that the wocky battledome poses are very nice and the added wings and so on look fine.

I don't like the horns, though, and I'm not sure why- they're rather acara-ish and they seem a bit exaggerated for a pet which didn't have horns in the first place.
Neopets wishlists: here
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Am I the only one who really likes this pet? Red Darigan pets are the best and this one tops my list out of the four. 8)
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Once again, it's a case of the circle pose kicking ass for me while the rest of them do nothing.

THAT is an awesome Darigan pet. The rest of the poses are very meh to me, even the happy pose which isn't that different.

I do like how its wings are slumped over in the sad pose, however. And it's red. I love Darigan Red.

However, I must say - anything kicks the ass of the gelert. That thing's an abomination.
Fullmetal Dragon
Human Avatar: 156401

Post by Fullmetal Dragon »

Aww. I really like it. XD It's such a little impish Darigan, and that's amusing to me for some reason. Surprisingly, I like the mouth, in all its cartoonishness. o_O; And I like the horns, though they probably could have done with being a little shorter. My favorite thing is its little clawed feet though. XD Such a cute Darigan, yes you are.

Anyway, the shade of red is also nice to see used again. Not purple, as much as I usually don't mind it, is refreshing occasionally.

Like jessi, I think the Circle pose is the best though. The expression on its face is the winner.
<3
uberstav

Post by uberstav »

I agree with jessibean...the main circle pose is really awesome and i love the redraw for it ..but the bd poses are not even redraws, but more of the same old boring wocky poses with horns and wings stuck on...i wouldn't buy a pb to paint this pet because of that.