Subeta: New Poll - Demi Revamp

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

So you actually do alter the proposed revamp? I've always wondered, not enough to bother looking into to it, why you'd bother having polls with only the old vs new pets when clearly the old one is not going to stay even if it wins.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Keith wrote:And the graveyard is being touched up, but nothing major.
The "nothing major" does not help. That sentence fills me with dread.
Image Image
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

I hate it.

I hate it so so much, and the Demi is my absolute favorite pets on the site.

The reason I love the Demi so much is because of how childlike and innocent it looks. My demi is named after the sweetest person I know, and this new one just makes me want to vomit. the cheeks are puffy, the eyes look completely different... this is just all wrong, in my eyes x.x

This is, honestly, going to seriously diminish my time on subeta. If the Blumaroo revamp on neopets was half this bad, I'd quit in a heartbeat.
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Wait wait wait, if the sheeta and the demi were by the same person, and you redo the demi, does that mean you're going to redo the sheeta? augh no.
Image Image
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I really, really like it. The art is so much better. The lines on the old one look horrible compared to this.

I agree the horn shouldn't be so vertical, and I wish the hair was just a little longer, but I really don't see much of a difference in the expression. Maybe it's because I think Demis are boring, generic, furry creatures, and I can't see them having 'attitude' or 'personality' to alter with a new expression. When it comes to pets I don't like, updated art almost always wins.
If the Blumaroo revamp on neopets was half this bad...
Constructive criticism, please. It's entirely fair to not like the revamp, but I don't think it's fair to say something like that. Some people, obviously myself included, quite like the revamp.

EDIT: Ty... shush. Don't even think that. Don't even think about thinking about that!
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

I am going to post for a third time on one page because, well, someone else posted in between.

I've arrived at a decision; I don't like this as much as the current demi. I like the lines on the old demi; they're a bit thick, in places, but I like how the line weight varies. It really contributes to the depth of the pet. I think the art is pretty good, but a) the shading isn't up to snuff, and b) it doesn't have the demi attitude anymore. And they do so have an attitude, pff. ^_~

It's not world-shattering, for me; I just prefer the old one overall. I only have redraws, so it wouldn't affect me. (Herein I will completely ignore the fact that the graveyard will be "retouched" because it makes me shudder. I like every single line of my Praxid.)
Image Image
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

Shmoe wrote:
If the Blumaroo revamp on neopets was half this bad...
Constructive criticism, please. It's entirely fair to not like the revamp, but I don't think it's fair to say something like that. Some people, obviously myself included, quite like the revamp.

EDIT: Ty... shush. Don't even think that. Don't even think about thinking about that!
Because god forbid I have an extremely problem with this revamp.

I find it is horrible. It is to the degree that I'm considering quitting the site because I dislike it that much. I'm not normally one to get worked up over revamps and the like, and this one has just completely disgusted me. I know I'm not the only one. All I said is that If I cared for this pet as much as I do others, it'd be a deal breaker for me, to see it done this badly. I don't think that is unfair, I think that is truthful. The truth, unfortunately, hurts sometimes.
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

The thing is, Illuen, you threaten to quit subeta at least once or twice a month, by my count, so perhaps the intended threat isn't quite as extreme as you'd like it to be?

And I think there is very little "truth" to be found in a subjective subject - seeing as how what is true for one is quite often false for another.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I fully understand you 'find it horrible'. I'm not denying that. You've made it quite clear.

But, like Kamil said, it's just sort of rude to call subjective things 'bad' or 'badly done'. If you dislike it so much that it makes you want to quit the entire game, well, that's a bummer, I guess. But there's no need to insult the art or the artist just because it isn't your taste.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Xulael

Post by Xulael »

The old demi has always struck me as having some very... Peanut-ish styled art. You know, Charlie Brown? It's not at all a good thing, mixed with the anime style, making it quite flat and unbelievable. The tail also has always looked broken, or sawed at, which doesn't help. It looks like plastic or glass.

The new one? I like it. The horn is flubbed, but... that's my only solid complaint. But, as Keith has already said...the new one isn't the final one. For which, I am glad. I love the way the hair and fur are done in this new one, but, I think the rest could use some reworking. Doesn't quite fit together in a way that's sure to please the current demi owners (which is to say, yes, I will be the first to admit my dislike of the old one counts for diddly squat, thanks ;3).

... Having difficulty expressing my thoughts, I think. Oh well. Either way, it looks promising and no one needs to get worked up over it yet.

~X
[ X goes by Xulael on most sites ]
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Reasons why the anatomy of the old one could really use a touchup, shown by it standing:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h320/ ... s/demi.gif
(the head should be bigger, but eh- five-minute sketch.)
tigerlilyleah

Post by tigerlilyleah »

Keith wrote:As far as I know, the dark matter is the only one being completely revamped.
*screech*

I was just on my way to potioning Nee D: *prays that it'll still be as pretty, if not prettier*

Oh, and I voted for the old one, because I prefer the thick lines and the eye markings :)
Circe

Post by Circe »

I like the new one's body, but there is something about it that doesnt capture the innocence and sweetness in the face of the old one. Perhaps the eyes and markings need to be made larger, with a larger forehead and the horn moved down a little. But the body does look more natural. Perhaps the next redraw of it will improve on the head, it would have my vote then.
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

dandelions wrote:Reasons why the anatomy of the old one could really use a touchup, shown by it standing:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h320/ ... s/demi.gif
(the head should be bigger, but eh- five-minute sketch.)
I want that sketch for a pet! :D It's lovely!

I could never understand how demi could stand up in reborn and sit like a rabbit in common - it doesn't look anatomically possible.

That aside I'd be looking forward to the next demi installment - it can only get better from here.

And I understand where Illuen is coming from - if they ruined for you your very favorite pet on the site (the very reason you joined in the first place) it'd be natural to feel that way.
Last edited by zebru on 15 Jan 2007 03:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Okay let me try again.

I was a little stumped when I saw this. I think the demi needed a touchup, but not a full scale revamp.

I think the new one is too soft. It doesn't have a lot of dynamics in its shading which makes it look rather pale. I'm particularly not fond of the 'hair', which doesn't look anything like old demi hair - which was always my favorite part of them =/

Others have mentioned the horn, and I think it looks odd as well.

Also, the fact that the tail on the bottom is a completely straight line really bothers me, haha. It looks like it should be on the ground, when it obviously isn't - a little too flat I think.

edit - and for the record, I love dark matter demis the way they are, and the fact they'll be completely redone saddens me, very much =/ It was one of the pets I planned to get with mystical plushies... bah.