PM Problem

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Trick
Mad Cavy Lady

PM Problem

Post by Trick »

As was mentioned in the filter discussion there is currently an issue with people not reading PMs from mods. If you receive a PM from a mod (in their modly capacity) then you must read it. And of course, respond if required. The PM could contain important information pointing out that you are not following rules of the board or that something is otherwise amiss. It could also be just advice of some kind. But the mods don't usually send PMs that can do without reading!

I would also encourage you to read *all* PMs for politeness sake if nothing else.

However, not everyone visits Site Suggestions, and due to the nature of the problem PMing doesn't work too well either. So! How do we tackle the problem of people who don't read warning PMs from mods? Please discuss :]

(Please note, this refers to people who are deliberately ignoring PMs while quite clearly remaining active on the forums.)
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

Not reading PMs is really rude. And it's stupid, too.

It might sound somewhat harsh, but... is there a way people who don't read PMs could be stopped from posting on the boards? Not banned, but just not allowed to post. And not forever, either, just until they realise that they need to read their PMs.

You could warn them by PM first, too, just in case they missed one by accident- if they fail to read or reply to it then it's not like they haven't been warned. Or, alternatively, you could change their avatar to something- maybe an image with the text "I need to read my PMs". Or even a custom title. I think something like that would make a person sit up and notice and actually care, or even the threat of it, when maybe they're just thinking they can get away with it or just are in a world of their own (or half asleep when they're posting...).
Neopets wishlists: here
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

Isn't there some way to post a global announcement? That would appear in all forums? Or maybe that's a different forum software. I don't know. You could still just post a separate announcement in each forum, I guess. But maybe people still wouldn't read those, in which case I just don't know.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Not without editing the phpBB code, which I am loath to do; if it goes wrong I lack the knowledge to fix it.

I would also like to say here that when you see public reactions by the mods, we have almost always sent PMs to the offenders first. The only exceptions are rare oversights. However, we have no control over whether people read these PMs.
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

I like daisybell's idea of changing the avatar... maybe you could even change the signature? To a big image that says, "so-and-so needs to read their PMs!!" :P Or, you could add a little Mod note to their posts. Or... post a reply to a board they are actively posting on. ::shrug::
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

dandelions wrote:I would also like to say here that when you see public reactions by the mods, we have almost always sent PMs to the offenders first. The only exceptions are rare oversights. However, we have no control over whether people read these PMs.
I'd say that another exception is when we post a reason for locking a topic, because if we don't state the reason publicly but PM it instead, we'd invariably receive additional "why did you lock X" PMs.
Image Image
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Just thought I'd throw this out there in case it hasn't been considered. A friend pointed out to me that there is an option we can choose that shows or hides whether or not we have a new PM. People may not be responding to PMs simply because they have the notice for them turned off and don't check.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Madge

Post by Madge »

Considering people who sign up to the board provide their email address, you could try sending them an e-mail.

Or, if their neopets/subeta account is linked on their sig or easy to find through their posts, you could send them a mail through the pet site, either saying what the problem is or asking them to check their PMs.

If this doesn't work, changing the avatar/sig would be a good next step.
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

Madge wrote:If this doesn't work, changing the avatar/sig would be a good next step.
I like this idea as well.
Image Image Image
Scimthary

Post by Scimthary »

I think that a global announcement maybe similar to the one when the Turmaculus ( ? ) is awake might work, of course everyone and not only the persons who don't read the PMs would see it but in my opinion that's not a problem.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

dandelions wrote:
oogabooga wrote:Isn't there some way to post a global announcement? That would appear in all forums?
Not without editing the phpBB code, which I am loath to do; if it goes wrong I lack the knowledge to fix it.

Email notification of PMs and popup on receipt of a PM are on by default.
sureq

Post by sureq »

Every time I log in it takes me straight to my inbox. I don't now how people can miss they have PMS. And I don't why people fail to respond to PMS also, because everytime I get a PM I get all excited because someone wants to talk to me =)

I like the idea of muting. If they can't follow the rules, they can't post. Maybe when they try to post they get redirected to a page explaining why they are muted. Maybe then they'd pay attention?
ImageImage
smurfie

Post by smurfie »

Even with the default, many people are using popup blockers - and at least in my case, I have the tendency to overlook those warning bars completely. The other issue becomes how many signed up here with an ill-frequent (or spam only) email address? *raises hand*
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

sureq wrote:Every time I log in it takes me straight to my inbox. I don't now how people can miss they have PMS.
There are two different login links; one is login to check your messages, and the other is a plain login, and it takes you to the main index. I'm always logged in, so I never see my inbox unless someone messages me.

The point about pop-up blockers is a good one. Every time I reinstall my browser (okay, not that often, but still) I have to make NC an exception, so it'll always allow pop-ups--I ignore the bar, too, so I had to change that.

(Can I have a moment of childish amusement at the difference between PMs and PMS? ;D)
Image Image
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Indeed. I never see my popups, and often don't notice the popup blocker. Also, usually when I sign up for forums I use a spamtrap email that I never actually. This time 'round I put in my real email for Neocolours so that now I get email notifications when I get a PM, but on other forums I use less frequently I sometime miss them.

On the other hand, you can't have people not reading important PMs, either. I sort of like the avatar/sig change myself: hard to miss that!