Petpet board rules.

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Just to clarify, the "here" I referenced was, well, here here. *waves vaguely about* Obviously I have no idea what PPC will or won't do, and I hope you didn't read that as me speaking for you, Trick.

You're certainly more than capable of speaking for yourself, after all. ^^
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Trick
Mad Cavy Lady

Post by Trick »

Oh no, it was to someone earlier in the thread ^^ I should stop being lazy and use the quote tags more often, hee.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

viewtopic.php?t=4973
Trick wrote:It isn't a priority for PPC anymore, which was originally intended as a database site and as such does what it says it will. Improvements to the site as it is are top priority for PPC, but unfortunately the site isn't near the top of my priorities at the moment.

In the future it's more than likely PPC will have a matching section as it was an original plan of the site, but I couldn't say when it will happen.
I guess I forgot about you saying that it's more than likely you will add it, I just remembered that the general answer from you was that you weren't going to make one.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I really like the theory behind the rule. and I'm glad it exists. Might it be reduced to 10 other non-spam posts though? That way, they won't be so tempted to "spam" otherwise to get that post count up (since often they don't take the hint that what they're doing IS spammy), and maybe they won't get so impatient. Then maybe they'll actually make some kind of meaningful addition to the forum, if only briefly, if they think that we're the most likely to give them ideas about petpet matches if that's what they're primarily interested in.

Just my thoughts there, certainly no pressure to reduce it. Heck, I'm partially guilty on the petpet matching because once I asked for a color opinion and then opted for the second-highest opinion because it appealed to me more than the first, though the feedback certainly was helpful.

As for being a nuisance in general, I would hope more people take a gentle notice that their behavior isn't what the NC community prefers before having to really be firmly told to knock it off. That way people get their feelings hurt less and it doesn't escalate into rantings and blamings. But of course, our mods certainly know that's easier said in idealism than done in reality.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

When topics get locked, could mods point to the search function in addition to the rules and faq? I know it's yet another thing thing to say, but it could actually help people who wanted a match and it's nicer than turning them away empty-handed, so to speak. We've said that the search function can act as a substitute for a formal matching database like rainbowpool.net which is fair enough, but I think it would be good to highlight that to new people. I realise it's already in the petpet forum rules but it would be easy to miss that, especially if you were posting here for the first time and decided just to go away rather than reading our rules and faqs.
Neopets wishlists: here
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Blar, I'm tired today. Ignore earlier post if you saw it.

I suppose it would be good of us to be as nice as possible--we do, however, delete the locked topics after a while (so someone using the search function won't turn up an old, locked topic with no answers).
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

If you want petpet matches, and you don't like doing all the other neopets discussion that we do here, why not just post matches? If you post good matches that haven't been posted before in the thread and fit the guidelines the requester made, these would count as non-spam posts, I'm sure.

Maybe lowering it to something like 10 would be better, though at the same time it would be easier to simply reply to ten topics with some vaguely on topic remarks - you know, get the last three new colours and say "The glowing kacheek is okay, there wasn't much they could have done with it than make it a kacheek that glows", and such, then do similar things in the petpet and chit-chat forums and all the rest of it.

I think that there are definitely too many topics in the petpet forum that may not be revisited by their creator.

And, Checkers, you do know that the rules were made mostly because of you? You seem to be making lots of spammy posts. Though I don't post nearly as much as I used to because during the year I'm busy and during my breaks I'm out of the habit, I still read almost all the posts every single day, and yours are, in general, not very well written and very short, and often consist of you complaining or asking questions that are not hard to find the answers to by using the search function. You are annoying. And you are very lucky we don't ban people only because they are annoying.

Maybe for a petpet database we could have a sticky, which would have links to boards made for different species and colours - think of osmething like the pet request thread, I guess. It would take a heck of a lot of work to use the search function and put all the links in - it's not something I'd spend my time doing, that's for sure.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Madge wrote:If you want petpet matches, and you don't like doing all the other neopets discussion that we do here, why not just post matches? If you post good matches that haven't been posted before in the thread and fit the guidelines the requester made, these would count as non-spam posts, I'm sure.
That is a good idea in theory but mainly due to this rule there aren't as many matching boards made any more because most of the members with over 25 posts have all their pets decided upon and no longer need suggestions to be made. Most of the matching boards are older than two weeks and only four are active suggestion boards, with two of them looking like a decision has been made. These members can't post to boards that don't exist.

Personally I don't mind suggesting matches, in fact I enjoy it. So I don't fully understand this rule. Yes it cuts down on people joining only for matches, but so what? I would be more than happy to suggest petpets for all those people and I don't find it a nuisance to do so, I'm sure there are other people who would willingly make suggestions to these people under the post limit. It seems that only the people who don't often make suggestions anyway are the ones completely behind this rule.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

While that's a good idea, Madge, the posts need to be in some part of Neocolours besides the petpet forum to count towards the 25 rule - mostly because the problems the rule was put in place to try and contain seemed to be almost entirely in Petpets, with the people involved never venturing out to any other parts of the site.

And if all they want is a petpet match from us (usually on a pet that exists nowhere except in some vague plan or the other), with no effort put forth on their part whatsoever to be a member of the community - I say they can do without.
adi_gallia wrote:
So I don't fully understand this rule. Yes it cuts down on people joining only for matches, but so what? I would be more than happy to suggest petpets for all those people and I don't find it a nuisance to do so, I'm sure there are other people who would willingly make suggestions to these people under the post limit. It seems that only the people who don't often make suggestions anyway are the ones completely behind this rule.
See above. We are NOT a petpet matching community - we're a colours community. And if you've been reading, you'll note that quite a few of us would like to do away with the petpet forum all together.

Although I think Jazzy's right, and it might have the same effect as when Neo nuked General Chat, thereby unleashing the stupid on all.

But, man, Joey has a point too - more days than not nowadays I wish it were nuked, and damn the consequences.

But if you like petpet matching so very much - make your own site and match to your heart's content. What's stopping you? I'm sure you could find a free corner of the intrawebs somewhere to put up a shingle.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.