An open discussion on the moderating team.

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

I like it here :D You guys are doing a great job. I don't really think that we need another forum for feedback - it would probably stay empty.

Post by Guest »

I'm posting this anonymously, because although I'm well aware the mods will know exactly who I am, I'd rather it stays just them.

You ARE good mods. You don’t delete threads that shouldn’t be, ban people just because they annoy you, etc. But, very recently Jazzy, I've noticed that you have been, well, pretty rude to a certain member. And really, that member was well within their rights to complaining because the things you had said to them recently (I can only think of two specific examples that I could drag up and show you if you wanted me to, but I know there have been more) had really been pretty rude. And I know that person was offended by them. Sure, they don’t have a perfect track record with other members, but who does, really? I know this person was offended and pretty pissed off with what you said, because they did seem sort of like attacks. It also seemed to me that it wasn’t just the fact that you didn’t like what they were saying, but that you also just plain didn’t like them. I'm sure you wouldn’t have said the same things if somebody you were friends with said what this person said, and it just seemed kind of unfair and unnecessary.

That said, in the grand scheme of things, the real problems with that you said aren’t really that big deal, its more the fallout that you weren’t really involved in that’s the problem, but the things you said were rude none the less. The person probably deserves an apology, but I know full well that won’t happen. Perhaps you just need to be a little more diplomatic in future.

Normally, I wouldn’t have even brought it up at all. But that’s what this thread is for, right?
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Clever modly action at work with the post above mine. :-)

I recall the anime thing, though I don't recall everything that happened in relation to it, so I can't comment on what I think of the appropriateness of the action.

Personally, I have no problem with mods locking threads that have degenerated from debate (which is good) into ad hominem attacks (which are not). (Of course, the same is true for threads that BEGAN as ad hominem attacks...)

In fact, I'd PREFER it if mods would lock these threads instead of leaving it there for people to sit about launching personal attacks at each other, although I'm aware that not everyone in the forums shares this preference.

As for the Kougra thing (which I assume is what the poster above was talking about)... well, mods are entitled to have personal opinions separate from their being mods. I think it's too bad that we can't do something like they do on the LJ knitting community (and presumably on others as well) where the mods have special userpics they use when they're speaking in their moderator-ly capacity, instead of just giving their opinion as a community member.

Personally, on that issue I was torn between my usual impulse to refrain from pointing out when other forum members are irritating me and the fact that, well, it was irritating me too... :-P
Last edited by Wingsrising on 10 Feb 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

Yeah, what everyone else has said. Because it's, y'know, true. *looks up* Well, mostly everyone.

The don't think the complains in question are as much complaints as they are whining. And not even justified whining, just 'Moaning for the Sake of Being Bitchy.' So, yeah. I wouldn't take it too seriously.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

well, mods are entitled to have personal opinions separate from their being mods
Yeah...assuming you do mean the kougra thing, Elfwoman and I sorted that out through PMs- I personally enjoy reading her posts now, and we don't have any animosity between ourselves anymore. Also, it really was a personal thing- if it was a moderator thing, I could have been deleting her posts/banning her/removing her avatar/whatever. I wasn't speaking in any sort of official capacity, I was speaking as someone who was just plain irked. I've had a slightly low tolerance for irritations recently- offline issues, mainly- but unless I actually react somehow using my powers, it really is only a personal problem. I overreacted, yes (and I regret that), but I'm not sure this is the time/place to be addressing that.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

Anonymous wrote:I'm posting this anonymously, because although I'm well aware the mods will know exactly who I am, I'd rather it stays just them.

You ARE good mods. You don’t delete threads that shouldn’t be, ban people just because they annoy you, etc. But, very recently Jazzy, I've noticed that you have been, well, pretty rude to a certain member. And really, that member was well within their rights to complaining because the things you had said to them recently (I can only think of two specific examples that I could drag up and show you if you wanted me to, but I know there have been more) had really been pretty rude. And I know that person was offended by them. Sure, they don’t have a perfect track record with other members, but who does, really? I know this person was offended and pretty pissed off with what you said, because they did seem sort of like attacks. It also seemed to me that it wasn’t just the fact that you didn’t like what they were saying, but that you also just plain didn’t like them. I'm sure you wouldn’t have said the same things if somebody you were friends with said what this person said, and it just seemed kind of unfair and unnecessary.

That said, in the grand scheme of things, the real problems with that you said aren’t really that big deal, its more the fallout that you weren’t really involved in that’s the problem, but the things you said were rude none the less. The person probably deserves an apology, but I know full well that won’t happen. Perhaps you just need to be a little more diplomatic in future.

Normally, I wouldn’t have even brought it up at all. But that’s what this thread is for, right?
*sigh* Are you talking about Ginger?

Anyways, you mods are doing great. You don't try to force your opinion on others just because you are mods and don't abuse your power. One of the reasons I come on here again and again is because there is no spam or idiotic n00bs making boards about Hilary Duff or something, unlike SOME boards I go to...*glares at the Help Chat on Neopets*
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Silverevilchao wrote: *sigh* Are you talking about Ginger?
I can't speak for the original poster but I'm assuming they're talking about the Kougra thing (in the thread about the new Lutari Paint Brush on the New Features forum).

Which I agree wtih Jazzy really isn't relevant to this thread, as it was Jazzy speaking as an annoyed forum member and not Jazzy speaking as a mod/admin/whatever.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

No one is talking about Ginger. She is unrelated to this in its entirety.
Image Image

Post by Guest »

For the record, I wasnt talking about Ginger or the kourga thing- I don't even know what the kougra thing is. I'm talking about somebody else entirely. (And I wont say who is is at all, for the record)
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

So, at some time I did something to someone and it was somehow wrong? Unfortunately, that isn't really very helpful- I don't know how I can change if I don't know what I'm changing.

(I'm slightly disconcerted, though, that people are popping up and confidently saying "oh, it's this!", each with a different situation I've mishandled, and yet they're still all wrong :P)
Deku

Post by Deku »

Stop playing dumb, Jazzy. Either you're playing dumb or you have a bad memory or something.

And also, what I write in my friends only LJ entries are none of your business, especially since you only know of them because Illuen copied and pasted them to you (which I think is extremely low and an invasion of privacy).

But you're good mods, as everyone else has said.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

*coughs* Yeah, there has been a bit of drama with Deku over MSN and LJ.

So if you guys don't routinely use either of those things, then you are missing a load of fun. But, as someone who contacted both sides of the conflict, it was instantly obvious to me as to what the guest post was talking about.

And... I do have a few problems with things being deleted, just vanishing. Ty didnt instantly post why she deleted the Doug board, and in that time, I felt very uncomfortable with having it just disappear for no reason. Same with the MRBboy thing. If it had been deleted and Jazzy (or whoever) left a note saying "Discussion deleted because it was leading no where and was sparking flames" or just something to let us know that it wasnt deleted by accident, I would have no problem with it. If you guys think that these things are better off gone, then thats fine, as long as you tell us. But when we are left in the dark, honestly, it makes me almost wish we were back on the old forums with no mods but Sam.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I am not "playing dumb", I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I do not read your livejournal and have no interest in doing so; if I did I would have had you friended. If you have a problem with something Illuen has done, I don't suppose that is relevant to this thread, either.

And we promise not to keep you in the dark about things in future- I'm not sure why it happened this time. The nl thing was a bit of a mess in general.
Deku

Post by Deku »

..so, um, everyone is talking about different things, then? :P I'm confused.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Aah. I've now heard why you're probably mad at me, but the truth is, I know nothing of any of that; all I know of you on LJ is your comments on twisted and illuens' ljs, which I do have friended. The pot, kettle comment was exactly that- you're free to say whatever you want in your lj (I know you do- I read your lj at the very beginning, when I added you to the_nc- and it's your right to do so), and illuen's free to say whatever he wants in his, and I'm certainly not going to come along to your lj or ask to read entries I don't have access to for the express purpose of bitching you out. My comment to you last night was unfair- but it was also unfair of you to bring up two users and expect me to say something negative about them, especially considering whose journal we were in; I had no intention of doing such a thing (and the answer to your question, without any snark at all, was "no, I wouldn't object"- I like and trust both of the two).

Oh- I didn't start this thread with the intention of making any specific person speak up; it came from a general thread in the Raindance forum, and I wanted to know exactly what was going on. By the time anything specific ever comes up in the nc chats, I have to be in bed, and I just knew that some people were irked, rather than knowing whom or why.

One last thing, can people stop throwing the word "ban" around to me? I can ban people ([name blocked] is indeed banned, I banned her at 8am nst, you can stop PMing and msning me about her :P) but I can't see why anyone would think I'd do it that lightly. I'm guilty of saying it, too, but if I haven't done it you can safely assume that I'm not actually going to...