Pokemon D/P/Pt discussion

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Pokemon D/P/Pt discussion

Post by AngharadTy »

It's not just their customer service (which depends on the location), but the entire chain's business practices that are hurting game companies. They do a lot of trade-ins, where they hurt the consumer by giving them $5 for a $50 game, and then turning around and selling that exact game for $45 to a new customer. And how much of that $45 does the company that made the game see? $0. Trade-ins always hurt the company that produces the item--I work in publishing, and companies have to publish new editions yearly just to avoid losing so many sales to college bookstores that resell in exactly the same way that Gamestop does. Sure, they often fix grammar errors and add new material, but a new algebra book every year... why? To compensate for the losses on used books.

My ideal solution (for games) is to have more games available digitally. Give them money and then download the game. The only problem there is that ISPs are starting to be bastards here like they generally are in Australia, limiting our bandwidth and giving us usage quotas. That'll put a kink in things.

But overall, statistics from developers (that I don't have on-hand, so you can trust me or not as you choose) show that Gamestop sucks away their sales. Therefore, I don't want to buy games from companies that hurt games. ;)

edit--that's not the only reason why they suck, though. It's just the major one for me. They're kind of shady all over. They're very dishonest about selling NEW games, too. They open the box, put the CD away somewhere "safe," let their employees play the games, and then sell it "new" to you. And then, even if you walk to your car, rethink it, and try to return it, sorry, their "open box" policy allows them to deny you the return. You can, however, trade it in for a tenth of the value! Wahoo! Letting their employees use the games also means that you can get games where the cd-key is already in use. Then you have to contact the game company and get a new cd-key. And that's IF the game company believes you (which they probably will, because game companies know that Gamestop does that).
Image Image
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

Me and my wife pre-ordered our platinum on Amazon. Where we live we don't really have a store we can pre-order it from near by. We're pretty much in the middle of no where it seems. ^-^" So Amazon has become my go to place for my books, movies and games. Anywho I'm quiet excited about it. I'm not going to breed a team for it. Me and my wife are doing a contest to see who can get it through it the fastest from scratch. I just have to decide if I want turtwig or chimchar as my starter.

After reading your post Ty, I shall never shop at Gamestop now. Wow. I always went in there and browsed but never bought. Now I'm glad I didn't from what I read. I'll stick to Wal-Mart, Best Buy or Amazon now.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Yep, I guess my last GameStop purchase will be this DSi. Besides, Target (at least here) has programs that help local schools and such. And hopefully Play (our reviving locally-owned store) will have some more goodies too. I've got plenty of options for buying the games. :)
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

I preordered at Gamestop because all I had was cash (my bank account isn't local) and for some reason, Target and Walmart have told me they don't take preorders in-store. I could have sworn that they did at some point.

Oh, well.

And, I know I've advertised this before, but that was a long time ago when D/P first came out. I run pokewifi, a battling/trading community on Livejournal. I'd love to see some of you folks there. :)
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

I was thinking of joining the Pokewifi lj..but I don't have an active journal. I just use it to 'watch' people on there. I had a bad experience with LJ in the past, and have since then stopped using it at a means to spill out my guts. ((Okay its not blank blank, Ive used it a couple times ..but still.)

Im just gonna download the game..considering it IS the same game as D/P but with added bling, no real sense in wasting money for it.

I have to make room for Regigas..D:x
Image Image
ImageImage
Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

If you tell me what your journal is (you can PM me here or there - I'm penguinsane on LJ), I'll approve you. :)

I always wind up running a duplicate copy on my R4 so I can trade back and forth to modify. I don't have a slot-2 card to dump my save with. :C
Varicolored on Subeta
Kari

Post by Kari »

I ended up preordering from Amazon, and it surprisingly shipped today. I got free shipping so it'll probably come in a week, but it was surprising to see the shipping notice in my email box today.

Never did get up to TRU when I said I was going to. It ends tomorrow, so I might end up going then. If not, I'll be looking for a cloned man 8)
derp
Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

I wouldn't be surprised if you got it on Monday, Kari. With Amazon, the shipping for preorders is pretty quick! I have always gotten mine within 1-3 business days. :)

I can hack the event for the TRU Regigigas and have a little giveaway, if anyone is interested. (Each Regigigas will be legit and unique, it's just the wondercard event that's been copied.)
Varicolored on Subeta
Kari

Post by Kari »

Hopefully it comes earlier than Friday! I'm quite excited to pop it into the DS, even though I just got another new DS game...too bad for that one.

I got my Regigigas (I just noticed there's so many Gs in there e.e) today, currently resetting for an Adamant nature because I'm a nerd like that. :P

Edit:
Regigigas - #486 (Adamant)
HP: 24
Att: 22
Def: 31
SpA: 7
SpD: 23
Speed: 5

Good enough for a man I won't be using!
derp
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

WE HAVE PLATINUM! It was epic, we were the only adults there that weren't accompanied by small children. We're just that awesome. And I have a tiny Giratina figure, yaaay!

brb playing pokemon ;D
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

Yeah, I find Amazon really good with their shipping even with free shipping. I usually get it next day it's shipped. On some of my preorders I got them the day before their actual release! That was really cool. With this one we are said to get it by the end of the week. I'm hoping before a car trip we have to go on. I would love to have that to play. XD **so excited**
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I also got it today yayayayayay :)
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Huuuuuge achievement, I finally beat the master rank contest!! I tried again offhandedly with my Xatu yesterday and managed to get second, so I've been trying again constantly and it finally paid off! I'm so excited, now my trainer card is an icky brown D: I'll have to go on a underground rampage with my sister later xD

Woooooo, still haven't gotten platinum yet xD
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

Just got platinum. :D *plays*

I dunno how I'll move pokemon between games yet though. I used to have an old style DS but I gave it to my niece and it's a pain to borrow. Maybe I'll see if someone online is willing to take pokemon from my diamond and trade them back to platinum, but I don't have anything low level bred yet anyway.
Kari

Post by Kari »

If anyone out there needs to transfer mans between games, I'm available to hop online to help if need be. PM me for my friend code~
derp