Site redesign.

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Random assortment of people wrote:The jelly usul no longer gets a third arm when happy.
Mwahahahaha! I win!

I love you Jozzy, I really do. Everything looks fantastic so far. *huggles* Just let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Anything at all, as long as it doesn't require too much effort or thought. Offhand, could the pet chain and the forum gallery be linked somewhere? That would be neat.

Madge's pet chain: http://users.tpg.com.au/adslcqoj/petchain.htm
Fjorab's gallery: http://www.neopets.com/gallery/index.ph ... jorab_teke

I'm thinking we should make applications for news posters mandatory for forum participation for everyone except me. Three? That's quite pathetic. Now I'm tempted to apply just so we can have a vote. Huggles is not a very happy camper when she has to apply herself to anything.
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

This looks wonderful, only a very slight nitpicks.

On the forums, the top bar is missing the news link. Also, when on the news page, the link for it is switched with the link for the forum, which shouldn't bug me, but kinda does.

Only other thing is that the square that the top links are in is kinda massive. I'm 1280 x 1024, and it still takes up a large chunk of space. If that could possibly be made less gigantic, I'd love you forever.

I'm so glad that this is all up, and I must say, I'm beyond impressed with all the work you and others have put into it. My hat is off to you =D
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Illuen wrote:Only other thing is that the square that the top links are in is kinda massive. I'm 1280 x 1024, and it still takes up a large chunk of space. If that could possibly be made less gigantic, I'd love you forever.
I wasn't gonna say anything, but honestly, that's bothering me a bit too ^_^; It is rather huge. when i sign on the forums I'm like "AGH BIG BLOCK OF TEXT" and stuff.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Oooh. How could I miss Tiel's contributions? *snuggles*
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

jessibean wrote:Would it be possible to make it have two options - one where if I say, look at all 'angelic' pets, it will show me the ones that -can't- be made angelic, and also have an option to look at it where it takes those ones out? If that makes any sense. I think it looks a little off when i can see "Angelic ____" in between all the pets.

Like I said, that may be just me, and I may be asking for the impossible xD; But I thought I'd bring it up.
I've been trying very hard to figure out a bit of PHP that will do that. I am working on getting a PHP method, but it ended in failure, so Jazzy's javascript works nicely for the moment.

Next on my To-Do list is getting the common elixir for each pet to show up like the potions do with colors, but I'm afraid that the urls for elixirs are inconsistent enough to make problems, but I can probably work around it if I just get some time.

And Aqua, on the pets per row thing, can you get me a screenshot of what it looks like in Safari? I thought I set it up so that it won't do anything overflowey, but I don't have access to Safari to test.

I'm going to do the Experiment page (eventually). And, I should be able to set it up so that I'm shown all the images with numbers from 1-2000 or whatever and take notes on what images actually work. Will be a little time consuming, but then we wouldn't have to worry about crediting.

I'm in a bit of a rush now, but I'll reread through this thread later and take notes on what else I should be working on. ^^ Glad people like it though, nice to know others can use it and it isn't just for my personal use anymore. x)
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

Why don't you guys go get the URLs from Subeta? Or is it involving something I don't know about? xD;; I'll be happy to go get the URLs if you need them. :wink:
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

For the experiments?

If there is an official (non-fansite) page listing every possible experiment color, that would be great. But since there isn't (that I know of), we'd have to get the list that are available.

Searching through everyone here might work, but there is still a chance of missing some experiments. So using someone else's list would be easiest, but making my own shouldn't take too long, as long as I don't get distracted by aesthetics.

Or Keith or someone could drop by and hand us a list. xD But that would be too easy.

We have the base url, but I need to compile a list of the numbers that is each experiment so I can plug it to an array to display.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

thelonetiel wrote:For the experiments?

If there is an official (non-fansite) page listing every possible experiment color, that would be great. But since there isn't (that I know of), we'd have to get the list that are available.

Searching through everyone here might work, but there is still a chance of missing some experiments. So using someone else's list would be easiest, but making my own shouldn't take too long, as long as I don't get distracted by aesthetics.

Or Keith or someone could drop by and hand us a list. xD But that would be too easy.

We have the base url, but I need to compile a list of the numbers that is each experiment so I can plug it to an array to display.
SubetaDB would probably work, since it's listed as "Made by Keith"...

Only problem we'd have is that the Experiment Scribble pets aren't listed on the site. D:
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

Here you go, Tiel.. Happened the first try. XD
http://blu-rain.net/subeta/sbblah.gif
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

I'll send in my application for news tomorrow after school!
Kally

Post by Kally »

I think everything is looking great thus far and I can't wait to browse the site endlessly once all is said and done. Great job and my kudos to all the contributors for all of the hard work. :)

I have one slight Subeta nitpick. I noticed the Kanis is not listed in the drop-down menus, though it is listed in it's pre-revamped form as the Canis.
old Canis
new Kanis

I assume it should just be a matter of changing the "C" to a "K" on everything, since the file names on subeta are consistent. Though do kick me if this was intentional. Are old versions and revamps of Subeta pets planned?

[Edit] Oh nevermind, I found I could just change the "C" to a "K" and go here
http://neocolours.me.uk/subeta/subetasp ... cies=kanis
to see the Kanis. Though I'd love if it could be changed / added to the drop down list. :)
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

I too love all of it (and thank you so much, Jazzy, for your tireless work; I know you have many other RL things you could be doing instead), but I too would like it if the navigation bar could be shrunk in size a bit. Since I often blow the text size up so I can read without sitting with my nose three inches from the monitor it's especially huge for me - so any reduction in size would be a good, and very gratefully received, thing. =D

Thanks again - and you too, Tiel. *snugs*
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Offhand, could the pet chain and the forum gallery be linked somewhere? That would be neat.
Think of somewhere- maybe on the Links page if nowhere else- and I'll put them up. They aren't important enough to go in the header but maybe the footer.
On the forums, the top bar is missing the news link. Also, when on the news page, the link for it is switched with the link for the forum, which shouldn't bug me, but kinda does.
Fixed.
Only other thing is that the square that the top links are in is kinda massive. I'm 1280 x 1024, and it still takes up a large chunk of space. If that could possibly be made less gigantic, I'd love you forever.
It isn't easily done without breaking on smaller resolutions/window sizes. Also, it's so there's space for more links in the future without requiring any changes to the CSS. If it's bigger than it ought to be- ie, taller than the header- that needs fixing, but I'm not going to shorten it otherwise.
Only problem we'd have is that the Experiment Scribble pets aren't listed on the site. D:
Once we have the numbers, the scribbles are very easy to find (they're normally petname_scribble.gif).
Here you go, Tiel.. Happened the first try. XD
http://blu-rain.net/subeta/sbblah.gif
I've added some code in- what do you get now?
I assume it should just be a matter of changing the "C" to a "K" on everything, since the file names on subeta are consistent. Though do kick me if this was intentional.
Thanks- fixed. Since I don't play, I assumed all the names were as they'd been written simply because the common pets weren't broken :)
Are old versions and revamps of Subeta pets planned?
Ideally, yes, in the same way the Neopet revamps are currently set up. However, this is very difficult for me in practice. When I put together the Neopets revamp page, I basically googled each of the species in turn and ordered the revamps as I knew they went. With subeta, I have no way of knowing if the results I get are real pets. As there's only one pose, options given in revamp polls look as likely to be real pets as the actual finished results, and not playing means I can't say whether or not a pet was really used from memory.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

It isn't easily done without breaking on smaller resolutions/window sizes. Also, it's so there's space for more links in the future without requiring any changes to the CSS. If it's bigger than it ought to be- ie, taller than the header- that needs fixing, but I'm not going to shorten it otherwise.
What about if you made it a lighter grey? The darker it is, the more it stands out. (I know it's pretty light already, hee--I'm just thinking of the light grey background that gets used every other post, here.)
Image Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Yes, lighter grey would be nicer.

Somewhere? How about on the links page under Neopets with a sub-category of Neocolours? You could add an extra column to the second row.

Oh, and the Neopian Commentary looks like it's not coming back, unless someone has information to the contrary?