Holy crap. CLOTHING/CUSTOMIZABLE NEOPETS is in beta.

Post anything new on Neopets here.
duenorth

Post by duenorth »

Fsking hell. While I love what they've done with some of the pets, three of my four best-loved pets got the short end of the art stick.

This:

is elegant and graceful and the new-new-new faerie Peophin is just sort of fat and lumpy.
old world underground where are you now?
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

...I'm going to assume that's just a glitch. :p It looks a bit disproportioned to me (either the legs/tail are too thick or the neck is too thin, even for an Ogrin), but it's better than I thought it would be. At least it's not scowling.
Gazella Dama

Post by Gazella Dama »

Wow, wow! So, so... they redrew all of the pets, really? And they're going to be implementing these redraws as the official new images for all of the pets? Because if so, A+++. The clothing is just an added bonus.

Some of them look a little doofy, sure, but on the whole, they're fantastically good, and species that I've previously shunned for bad art, I'd now totally want (aw man, the Draiks actually look somewhat cool now! Too bad I gave mine up). The lupes are great, much better than their dumb puppyish look they have going on now.

And I roll my eyes severely at everyone crying "they ripped off Subeta!" Yes, customizeable clothes (c) SUBETA FOREVARZ. Not like Subeta is ripping off Neopets' whole concept in the first place or anything, nooo.

But seriously, who wants to screenshot one of the Grarrls for me? I want to make sure that Jotunheimr will look FABULOUS when I dress him up in frilly things. I mean... armor. Yes.
Bif

Post by Bif »

Sooo, do we know for sure that all the pets will be updated with this redrawn art? Or is this more of something JUST for premium users?

These new neopet redraws scare me (Lutari, Jetsam [looks like it has a beer gut] and Shoyru [still with the one eye] to name a few are very disappointing) :(

And as someone else said - what's the point of painting your pet pirate if you can just dress them up as one? I was looking at the Grey Eyrie on Maddy's pet page (http://www.neopets.com/~Maddy) and thought to myself "Why does that pirate Eyrie look so sad?" before I realised it was Grey and dressed in pirate clothing.

I should reserve my judgment of the project until we know everything there is to know about it, but at the moment, I can’t help it, I DON’T like it!
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Oh hell no. Don't go that far. I was thinking they'd be added to lookups in the same way most people already add custom images. I will reign down unholy furor if these are "replacing" current pet images. Some of them are nicer, true, and lot of them are shit now when they weren't before.

Oh, and from what I can gather from inbetween Illuen's squeeing, the wearing of certain color specific items is just part of the test and only temporary.
phoebemittens

Post by phoebemittens »

Well... this is bloody interesting.

It's a shame for those pets whose "revamps" are rather more "devamps" - I'm looking at YOU, robot kougra & (OMG) yurbles. The lutari's not great either and has made it far less of a must-have for me. It's also a shame that all existing clothing is presumably obsolete and will be permanently functionless now, although I suppose it was anyway.

I notice that you can now dress any colour of pet in the accessories for royal, halloween, island etc. That makes me wonder - is this also an attempt to reduce the price of paintbrushes? And does the paintbrush now change your pet's basic appearance, AND give them the accessories individually? If so you could presumably paint your kyrii royal and then sell off its clothes, to have a long-haired turquoise kyrii and a bit more np in the bank. People's funds would be spread over brushes and clothing items. You never know, it might work.

However, the quantity of work involved is surely INSANE for the artist team. I am reserving judgement until:
(a) I see what happens to the "angry" and "sad" poses
(b) Glitches like the eyeless ogrin get corrected
(c) I see more clothing on redraw pets - the earrings on the Tyr Blu, I notice, are hanging in mid-air. I wouldn't like that sort of thing to become a habit.

I foresee some very, very badly dressed pets in expensive clothing in Neo's future. I can't wait.

[edit] Oooh, bad thing - I notice from the grundos that the clothing doesn't adapt at all. That presumably means no more re-posed redraw colours except Maraquans. (& would explain why the werelupe is now quad as Huggles said)
Last edited by phoebemittens on 18 Apr 2007 07:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

The werelupe is also regretfully a quad now and makes not an ounce of sense.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

I haven't really been paying attention, but isn't this just some premium-exclusive flash game? I didn't get the impression that we'd be able to replace our pets' lookup images with the dolled up ones. Nor the indication that these are revamps for our current pets. They merely redrew each pet for uniform quality, and all you do is dress them up, take a screenie if you want to show anyone else, and that's it.

Don't mean to jump the gun, but I'm not holding my breath either. I'm hoping to be proven wrong, because some of the art is very sweet indeed. I would love Draiks to be revamped that way, even though the head is still relatively enormous.
Last edited by Griffin on 18 Apr 2007 07:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Premium members get to betatest all flash games, presumably other random crap as well, before they are officially released to the public. So, it's not weird at all that they'd get to play with it first.
Helmcargh

Post by Helmcargh »

Some of these pet redraws are great, but that Lutari is hideous!

The poor little thing has been completely massacred!
And I was really looking forward to maybe getting one on Lutari day, what a let done that will be if they suddenly change appearance a few months down the track.

Booo.
sureq

Post by sureq »

What the hell have they done to my darigan aisha?! I'm going to kill someone. If they do replace all pet images with these I quit, and ill give all my pets to people here.
ImageImage
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Ogrin's fixed!

Love! :mrgreen: The Krawk is OK, but nothing awe-inspiring. And the robot poogle scares me. The darigan aisha just makes me weep.

Is it just me, or do some pets have eyelashes while others don't? Is there an option to choose what eyes your pet "wears"?
Bif

Post by Bif »

Officer - apparently the female pets have eyelashes and the males don't. :o gender recognition beyond Royal!
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I'll take eyelashes over boobs anyday.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

But robot pets with eyelashes look funny.

Allthough the idea is great, I too will reserve judgement till I see where the new art is used.
Some of it is good, some of it is childish (in style) and some of it scares me.

Some of the pets are able to carry things in their paws (looks at the ridiculously flipped fin of the mara shoyru) and some can't.

I will just wait and see what happens...