Son of Domain Name Debate

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.

Which of these would you prefer as our new name

http://neocolours.com
31%
http://neocolours.net
58%
http://neocolours.org
11%

Total votes: 62

Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Son of Domain Name Debate

Post by Kamil »

Assume for the purposes of this poll that these are all avaliable. Vote for your favorite.

Easy, no? =D

As well, please bear in mind that this is in no way, shape, fashion, or form an "official" decision you're voting on. I simply think I might be able to get one of these names, but before I start pestering people about it, I'd like to know what people here think.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

I voted neocolours.org because we are an organisation, so I think .org would signify that. I was really hoping for thenc, but it seems as though on the other board it has been voted out, so neocolours.org is my favourite.

I am keeping in mind this is not official.

EDIT-
Are we having www.? http://www.neocolours.org is avaliable I think...it goes to a domain seller.
Kamil
Not the nice one

Post by Kamil »

Garrett wrote:I voted neocolours.org because we are an organisation, so I think .org would signify that. I was really hoping for thenc, but it seems as though on the other board it has been voted out, so neocolours.org is my favourite.

I am keeping in mind this is not official.

EDIT-
Are we having www.? http://www.neocolours.org is avaliable I think...it goes to a domain seller.
http://www.neocolours.org is the very same domain as http://neocolours.org, the www is just left off in the second one. Err, obviously. =D

I just don't care for it (it seems redundant to me) so I left it off of the examples. ^.^
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Lucifer_Apollyon

Post by Lucifer_Apollyon »

Actually, if we could get all three names (of course we can't currently) that'd be cool. :D It is kind of hard to decide though. :/ I think I'd go for .org though...I like .org names.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Let's not plan to get all three; that would get pricey, I fear.
Image Image
Lucifer_Apollyon

Post by Lucifer_Apollyon »

AngharadTy wrote:Let's not plan to get all three; that would get pricey, I fear.
Yeah...that's what I figured. It would be cool, but currently too pricey...so .org or .net. Hmm...
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I voted .net, because...uh...

...woo, alliteration? I don't know. It just sounds the best, I think.
Deku

Post by Deku »

I like (and voted for) .net. Neocolours.net is nice and catchy, probably because of the alliteration, like Shmoe said.

.com is boring and used by everyone everywhere, and .org....well, we're not an organisation, really, and Neocolours.org sounds like a charity fund or something :P

And occaisonally I misread .org with a y on the end...
Kamil
Not the nice one

Post by Kamil »

Deku wrote:
And occaisonally I misread .org with a y on the end...
Well, given some of our threads. . .

=D
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Spivsy

Post by Spivsy »

.net, because it alliterates, and I like alliteration.
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

I still strongly oppose buying anything off a reseller. Ever.
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

Let's put it in Neopets terms. Buying a domain from a reseller would be roughly equivalent from buying an account from Kaos, or anyone else like that, that he had gotten access to through unfair means in the past.

These domain names are bought by extremely unscrupulous people. They notice that a website is becoming popular, and then buy other domains that are similar to it, just to redirect them to their own advertising pages. Even worse - they constantly refresh the information from the whois databases around the world so that they can snatch your domain away the second it is no longer registered.

Why? Mostly to spread a lot of advertising - if a site is popular, a lot of people will come to it once it becomes unregistered as well. Also to make extra money - they are using it to sell domains for much more than they'd usually cost. I can even imagine this being illegal according to the TOS of certain registrars/TLD maintainers: You are selling something that belongs to the people controlling the top level domain. I'm not sure about the details though.

There's a lot more about this to find online, but in short - don't do it, it'll be equivalent to buying an account (back) from Kaos, or buying from any other person selling their accounts, Neopoints, or whatever more on eBay and the like.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Yes, stealing accounts against a website's rules is <i>exactly</i> like registering domains legally.

We should be focusing on how expensive domain names are, and perhaps voting on viable alternatives, rather than making incorrect comparisons. I think it's obvious that we would like neocolours.net if it were possible, but it may not be possible. How much does that one cost, buying it from a reseller?

I agree that I don't like dealing with resellers. Sometimes it's your only alternative--I'm having a hell of a time finding a Hissi TP right now, because I'm avoiding resellers. I don't think we need to go through a reseller here, now, with this domain name--we should pick an inexpensive, unregistered option. I would love to have neocolours.net, but I wouldn't feel good at achieving it by making some random third party richer.

(edited for clarity)
Image Image
Zap

Post by Zap »

AngharadTy wrote:We should be focusing on how expensive domain names are, and perhaps voting on viable alternatives, rather than making incorrect comparisons. I think it's obvious that we would like neocolours.net if it were possible, but it may not be possible. How much does that one cost, buying it from a reseller?
I visited neocolours.net yesterday and followed the links, and it goes to a buydomains.com page, and apparently they believe the name is worth "at least $888."

That's why I voted for .com even though I like .net better... *sigh*
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Yeah, that's forbiddingly expensive. Ugh. Horrible.

I know that the poll is about ignoring availability and just picking the one we like most, but I think price matters, hee.
Image Image