Browsers - pros, cons, etc....

Non-neopets general discussion.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Re: Browsers - pros, cons, etc....

Post by Jessi »

I use Firefox, but that's out of habit. I just LIKE it. I've never had a problem with it, I find it very reliable, and it works for all the websites I use (except RO >_> To Pay for my RO account, I have to log into IE XD), especially now that Pizza Hut online ordering works with Firefox, heh. So I'm not too good at the webbrowser debate... I just like Firefox.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

AngharadTy wrote:The Neopets-little-windows and the like (I mean, clicking on an item in your inventory, and such?) are always stripped down browser windows, but they shouldn't affect the toolbar layout of your main window.
"Shouldn't" is the operative word there. They don't stick; they pile up sloppily again when I open a new window after that. :P I've been used to opening everything in separate browser windows, and now that I'm used to tabs I'll see if that makes it cut out that nonsense. I'll try it sometime very soon, along with the other things you've suggested. Hopefully it'll do what I would like to see.

Meanwhile, I'm liking Firefox aside from its "eh, I don't know, so NO YOU CAN'T." I mean, REALLY, I would like to see the .pdf newsletter from the Akhal-Teké society I'm a member of (I could finally download it through IE), and I'd like to have the Neopets toolbar again.
Last edited by Fjorab_Teke on 31 Dec 2008 06:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

That is really weird, Fjorab. Sorry! The Firefox thing sounds weird, too, to be honest. I have FF 2 on one computer and 3 on another, and neither prevents me from doing things I want to do. Chrome is the only one that actually warns me of insecure things and do I really want to load and whatnot. And even then, it lets me load if I say "yes, I'm that dumb." Are you sure it's not something with your computer overall (I love to format as my solution to *everything*) or with an antivirus program or toolbar add-on or somesuch?
Image Image
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Just Firefox being picky about it. Maybe it's because I have the security add-on on the newest version of it too, pretty well default for it now. But I'm not sure how to get it to stop short of a two-hour wrestle to find and get it off.

EDIT: Ty, this is NICE now. Hopefully the toolbar layout will stick for good now. I guess I am back to IE. So far, aside from its targeted-ness, it seems to be the one that fits my needs the best. I just hope Neo's CG crud is getting scarcer. I've got suspicions though that isn't actually what my main was temporarily frozen for. *rolls eyes* Nobody ever told me why, but I've got one hunch it was because of "overpriced rotten footwear."

The other browsers will hang out in waiting for other uses, like side-accounts and IE scares. :P
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

I use Safari, because it's more or less got all the features of FF, including support for user.js's, but it's much faster (on my computer at least.) It also has the pretty, shiny ability to open stuff like txts/rtfs/swfs/pdfs/etc right in the browser, whereas when linked directly to a file FF (and other browsers) download it. I like this, because I am obsessive-compulsive about what goes on my computer. Its toolbars etc. are customizable and simultaneously powerful and compact - this is a big thing for me; the same configurations on other browsers stick out at me like a sore thumb.
Also, the code to its engine (WebKit) is public and updated nightly. This is pretty much pointless to anyone who doesn't want to waste a lot of time hacking about with code, but it's basically infinitely customizable.