RL Achievements and ToW

Non-neopets general discussion.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Re: RL Achievements and ToW

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

After the wee hours of this morning, we will have everything packed up.

That means I will not have much internet access until further notice.

California!

*freaks out*
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

California woooooo! =D

I'm about to go on a trip to Pismo Beach for a wedding. I'm really not good at dressing up, so I'm nervous, but it'll be good to see family. I hope I don't embarrass myself while wearing a skirt.
Image Image
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I will be living about an hour and a half from there!

And it looks like you all will have the honors of seeing my last post online anywhere before we pull the plug on the desktop computer. :-P Let's see if my nerves (and my silly cat's nerves)...and everything else...survive this long haul.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Microscopic woe:

I kinda got a kick out of this, even after being thoroughly annoyed on how she could nit-pick a 1 page summary.
Spoiler: open/close
Will I receieve the extra point if I point out the irony, Teacher?
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Since when is a summery a "formal paper"? I thought that was mainly essays and reports and crap like that... And I won't go about repointing out the obvious. XD
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Trust me, it isn't is not. I had not realized I was preparing an assessment speech about why I prefer vitamin C as opposed to vitamin B. Much to my dismay it was not eloquently expressed to her liking.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Contractions? Pah... your teacher is on a whole new level - two typos, one spelling mistake and at least three punctuation/grammatical errors in two sentences. That takes real skill :P
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I'm always curious about what "formal writing" one isn't supposed to use contractions in. That is, when in real life is anyone expected to write without contractions? People use contractions in books, including textbooks. People use contractions in periodical articles. People use contractions in scientific papers. People use contractions in letters, including business letters. What other kinds of "formal writing" are there?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

The mythical college kind of formal writing. The kind you don't ever use anywhere else. School writing in general is insane--I had an English teacher one year who would mark our grade down if we had more than 5 "linking verbs" in an essay. She didn't want to see any form of "is" (and some others were verboten as well, like "should" and "would"), and she would circle them in the essay while grading, then total them next to your grade at the end. I wrote the weirdest sounding essays that year. It was amazingly crazy.
Image Image
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I was preparing an assessment speech about why I prefer vitamin C as opposed to vitamin B
Contractions or not, I don't think you're supposed to play favourites :P
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Forget Vitamins B and C. It's Vitamin D all the way!

(Actually, that's arguably true. It seems to be one of the few vitamins that can reduce the risk of disease -- besides those associated with deficiency -- including autoimmune diseases and several kinds of cancer. Take your Vitamin D3 supplements, kids!)
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

I am now quite settled in here at Imperial and really having a blast. Haha, I know Imperial doesn't have the greatest party reputation, but I've met some lovely people and I'd definitely say it's what you make it. I am currently supposed to be getting ready to head off to Camden, but erm... obviously I'm here instead. I have lectures Monday at 9am so, fingers crossed, am hoping to make it on time. After going out last Sunday and coming back at some unknown hour, I managed to wake up at 9:05am to realise that my induction had started 5 minutes previously. Not a great omen. But yeah, am so far loving it and am actually starting to become interested in maths again, following all two hours of work I've done so far. My roomie is also very nice, so yeah. :D Go London.
Subeta: Thomas
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

I have most carefully avoided upgrading to Safari 4 ever since it came out, so you can imagine my displeasure when I unknowingly received it bundled into an OS update.

They said you couldn't uninstall it.

But I did, bitches. B)
Madge

Post by Madge »

What's wrong with safari 4, foghawk? I work in Internet Support at my university and I haven't heard any complaints about it. In fact, a couple of problems students were having with some of our websites have been solved by upgrading safari. So if there's problems with it I'd like to know so I can stop recommending it :P
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

I won't deny that there have been backend fixes, but on the whole most of the updates it introduced were either useless or actively aggravating - the pointless in-your-face Cover Flow-esque Top Sites, the placement of the 'refresh' button in the URL bar on the opposite side as the rest of the buttons, the required 'add bookmark' button, the utterly unhelpful circular 'loading' signal in its rather ugly box, the bulky-looking FF-style rounded rectangle tabs and 'close' buttons, the way said 'close' buttons needlessly appear and disappear as you mouse over the tabs, the fact that it's significantly slower than 3.2.3 on my rather temperamental old box - So Yeah.

It's more or less personal preference; the security issues were fixed quickly and the functionality isn't too bad (aside from the speed issue, which probably isn't a problem on less senile computers), but the UI changes it made consistently make me want to tear my hair out. So I'm picky.