Windows 7 and ... virus-scanning software.

Non-neopets general discussion.
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Windows 7 and ... virus-scanning software.

Post by Mayhem »

I'm getting a new computer and it's just going to have a barebones Vista OS. I've been hearing more and more about Windows 7 - do any of you have it? What are your thoughts?

Also, what's your favorite virus/spyware protection? I know a lot of you guys use a mishmash of various programs, so what do you recommend? I know of AVG Free and that's about it.

Thanks, everyone!
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Re: Windows 7 and ... virus-scanning software.

Post by Seerow »

My brother has it on his computer and I've used it a little. I haven't messed with it too much to be honest, but so far I think I like it. It actually reminds me of how Mac OS works to be honest. Everything is very streamlined and there's opaque bars and such.
One thing I don't like is that if you minimize something (like say you have two Firefox windows open or whatever) it will automatically stack them and that drives me crazy. I'm sure there is/will be a way to stop that from happening though. One of the best features so far is the ability to move the icons around on the task bar! I've always loved that about Mac's OS so it's nice to finally see it on Windows as well.

So far my brother hasn't had any complaints about it which is something :P He hasn't had any issues with installing stuff or weird popups or whatever. The trial for the Windows 7 ends tomorrow though so he won't have it anymore. Sorry I don't really have anything more indepth to add, but I've mainly just been using it for the internet while my comp has been MIA.

As far as antivirus programs, my favorite is AVG.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

The beta expires tomorrow, but the release candidate will still operate until March without any issues:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... nload.aspx. Free and legit, no catches.

For AV, I tend to stick with avast these days, I can't bring myself to buy Kapersky.
Many thanks to EofS for the avatar and signature images.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I have Windows 7 and it's great. (Evaluation copy, but just preordered it for $50.) It's like Vista in the delicious ways (I love Vista) and even better in some ways. My only problem with it is that some of my free Korean games haven't updated their anti-hacking crap yet so it thinks I'm a hacker and won't let me play. SIgh.

I'm using AVG free with it for now, but I'll probably switch to Microsoft's free antivirus program once they release it.
Image Image
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

AngharadTy wrote:My only problem with it is that some of my free Korean games haven't updated their anti-hacking crap yet so it thinks I'm a hacker and won't let me play. SIgh.
This method fixed the gameguard error and allowed me to play Aion and Maplestory on Windows 7. It may work for other games =)
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

Oh crap, it expires tomorrow? That's when I get my new computer in. Does it expire tomorrow or midnight, or will all of tomorrow be the last day? If I download it now on this computer, would I be required to install it on THIS computer, or can I burn an install-disc and install it on my new computer when I'm ready?

I've heard some great things about it, especially about stability. I'm pretty excited. At first, I was very anti-Vista, but I've been toying with my mother-in-law's Vista laptop (mine still has XP) and ordered Vista Home Basic 64Bit for my computer I get tomorrow.

Speaking of 64bit, here's another tangent. Which do you prefer, 32-bit or 64-bit and why?
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I use and like Avira AntiVir Guard. So much that I upgraded to the Premium. Its scanning element is called Luke Filewalker. :D

Free Version
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Derek tried quite a few things so that we could play Cabal, the only one we're actually having problems with; I know he tried two solutions offered up online. I'll ask him if he tried that one, though. (Cabal really is one of the best games I've ever played--I just don't like the end-game pvp system so much. Waiting in line. Woo.)

(edit: I'm an idiot--we did get past Gameguard, but it's X-Trap that we can't get around.)
Image Image
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

Mayhem wrote:Oh crap, it expires tomorrow? That's when I get my new computer in. Does it expire tomorrow or midnight, or will all of tomorrow be the last day? If I download it now on this computer, would I be required to install it on THIS computer, or can I burn an install-disc and install it on my new computer when I'm ready?
To quote the link I posted earlier:
Microsoft wrote:You don't need to rush to get the RC. The RC will be available at least through July 2009 and we're not limiting the number of product keys, so you have plenty of time.
You can download the install DVD, burn it where you downloaded it, then install from that disc on any computer.
Mayhem wrote:I've heard some great things about it, especially about stability. I'm pretty excited. At first, I was very anti-Vista, but I've been toying with my mother-in-law's Vista laptop (mine still has XP) and ordered Vista Home Basic 64Bit for my computer I get tomorrow.
Speaking of 64bit, here's another tangent. Which do you prefer, 32-bit or 64-bit and why?
Vista leaves me generally underwhelmed (the only significant advantage is the better security architecture), but 7's shaping up quite nicely.

I would not buy a 32-bit OS now, as you are limited to an absolute maximum of 3.5GB addressable RAM with normal versions of Windows (to the techy types, lets ignore PAE in 2003 server for convenience). Notice how many Vista laptops are now available with 3GB of RAM (at least in the UK)? That's because they are trying to shift the 32-bit OS, performance is better with matched RAM (2GB, 4GB, etc). Ignore the people who tell you that 64-bit programs take up twice as much disk space, they don't know what they are talking about. 64-bit instructions are more efficient with more data processed per clock cycle, and the instructions can be cleverer about how they do it too - 32-bit windows has to run on anything back to the original 386, although very slowly, and there have been a lot of updates and extensions to the x86 architecture since (MMX, SSE1-4, etc).
Many thanks to EofS for the avatar and signature images.