Hydrus Ruffie and Chai

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Hydrus Ruffie and Chai

Post by Mayhem »

Image Image

The poses aren't flattering. Those look more like they should be Graveyard poses, not Hydrus poses, and they seem rather bland compared to a lot of the other Hydrus pets.

I like the collar on the Chai turning into a seashell, though.
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Pyrostatic

Re: Hydrus Ruffie and Chai

Post by Pyrostatic »

I'm not a Ruffie fan, so it doesn't leave much of an impression on me. If it were actually growling or showing some teeth, then it would be a true Hydrus.

The coral and necklace on the Chai is pretty unique, but that's about it.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Are these both revamps? I know the Chai is, but not sure on the Ruffie. And without my hard drive I can't check.

I think the Chai is rather neat. The pose kind of reminds me of a zombie coming to eat your brains. You know, with less decaying and parts falling off. The coral in place of the eye-leaves is well done, as is the shell necklace.

I'm not a huge fan of the Ruffie sorry to say. It's not bad, it's just not something that really grabs my attention. The face is rather cute though.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Chai is a revamp, Ruffie is new.

I don't find either of these bland or plain, to be honest.
The three most popular Hydrus pets are the Celinox, Keeto and Montre, while the three least popular are the Chai, Rreign and Cybill.
Let's see if the Chai manages to be more popular than it was. :)

A lot of the most popular Hydrus pets aren't the ones with tons of seashells and such either. The Montre and Keeto are rather plain, but do the job wonderfully well. :)
Rah

Post by Rah »

Jessi has been crying for me to revamp the chai pretty much since I've known her I think xD

Hydrus is one of those strange colours. It's water based, but grounded, not actually floating IN water (which I hope gives way to a blue lovely water floaty colour one day). They're supposed to be under Merana's command or something, so not excessively snarly unless the character of the pet is coming through. It's one of those weird ones for us to draw, I don't think the exact expression a hydrus pet is supposed to have has ever been pinpointed, so I just try to give a bit of variety, you know?

Snarling ruffie has already been done with the bloodred, crazy ruffie with nightmare, and a few other expressions - I just kind of let my pen do the talking with this ruffie to create a pose that isn't on any other ruffie so far so they have as much variety as possible!

The chais pose came about because I'm trying to separate chais from anyus as much as possible by making the chai a bit more of a bipedal teddy bear when I can - as I draw the two bear pets for the site I'm always worried they're going to end up looking the same! So I gave the anyu the pose that I had originally wanted the chai to have for some reason (badddd idea xD) and any got to turn into some kind of wolverine/cowboy thing xD

Hydrus pets are just...weird for me. I think I imagine them sometimes with that kind of calm ferocity that a lantern fish would have. All quiet and slow in the ocean, hypnotizing you closer and closer until they'll suddenly turn and go all psycho and eat you. Iunno. Ruffie seems to have gone down well on subeta though! It's often one of those pets that the youngins like xD
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

Well I can understand that. I'm just saying I think it would be cooler if it showed it's little teeth, or the lines on the muzzle gave the impression that it was snarling without showing teeth. It's not bad, don't get me wrong; it's just something I would have done differently if I was the artist. =)
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

The new Chai is worlds and leagues better than the old one - I know Rah has no problem with me saying it had to be my least favorite pet on the site, it was just so awful xD I think the new pose fits the pet better, and it gives it a lot more personality!

The Ruffie is... a Ruffie, so I don't have much to say on it either way xD Its head here looks a little too large, and for a Ruffie, that's saying something xD Overall though, I love the pose and I especially love the detail paid on the snarly nose :3
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Awww, pouty puppy. <3 It's so cute. I kinda want one. The chai's pose does kinda look like zombie material, though. XD Still looks apropriately hydrus and all.
firost-the-dragon

Post by firost-the-dragon »

Pyrostatic wrote:I'm not a Ruffie fan, so it doesn't leave much of an impression on me. If it were actually growling or showing some teeth, then it would be a true Hydrus.

The coral and necklace on the Chai is pretty unique, but that's about it.
i agree with that. most hydrus pets are a lot more vicious looking that others...

i kinda wish that the chai though had a curled lip like the anyu did. that was epic.
see this picture and more at http://www.darkpidgeot10.deviantart.com . this is by ME!!!
Keshi~

Post by Keshi~ »

The curled lip on the Anyu is pretty neat but it isn't a Chai thing, especially since he is meant to be more teddy bear like.
Quote from Rah
"The chais pose came about because I'm trying to separate chais from anyus as much as possible by making the chai a bit more of a bipedal teddy bear when I can - as I draw the two bear pets for the site I'm always worried they're going to end up looking the same!"