Hydrus Antlephore and Mallarchy

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Hydrus Antlephore and Mallarchy

Post by hebdenhippy »

Image Image

Not keen on the Antlephore, while I quite like the pose, the fins at the front look really strange, I'm not quite sure what's going on with them, and it just seems rather bland. The horns look nice, but I think it would have been better if it had more markings or other Hydrus stuff like barnacles, seaweed, coral etc. to balance out all the brown.

I really love the Mallarchy, though, which is something I never thought I'd say since I'm not a fan of the species. I love the colours used, the yellow on the beak and feet looks great, and I like the transparent wings. I like the snarling expression, too. I'd be tempted to get one of these if i had a pet it would fit. Maybe in the future.
Pyrostatic

Re: Hydrus Antlephore and Mallarchy

Post by Pyrostatic »

I'll just post here what I wrote:

The Antlephore is very bland in my opinion. It's another one of those undershaded Hydrus pets and overall, it's not very impressive. I don't understand where the end of the chest and legs meet. I don't think that was a very smart place to put fins. It just looks weird. And it seems pretty dark for a Hydrus. I'm not sure I like the muddy dark brown palette.

The Mallarchy, WOW. That is badass. And that's saying a lot since I haven't liked any of the Hydrus pets for the past few months. I love the mouth and the anger in it's eyes. It looks shaded pretty well. I love the translucent wings. I must say, Rah (she is the Mallarchy artist right?), you did a fantastic job.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Is the Antlephore leaning? It kind of looks like it wants to..do the swim/leaping motion, but then it tripped?

(What I had posted)
Image Image
ImageImage
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I actually really like both of these! The Antlephore pose is kinda wonky and I'll agree the fins on the chest look a bit off, but overall I really rather like it. I really like the tons of brown used, and the green strands in the tail. The antlers and hooves look nice as well.
And the colors on the Mallarchy are lovely! That yellow/gold combo was a bit startling at first, but I quickly grew fond of it. Razor beak!

These aren't pets I'd ever own, but I'm happy they exist.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

I think if they just moved the fins on the Antlephore's chest it would look a lot better. I don't really have any issues with it otherwise, though the shape of the 'toes' on the front hoof look a bit odd.

The Mallarchy is nice, though the pose is so awkward that it bothers me. It looks like it's precariously balancing on one foot while trying not to fall over or something.
Image Image
Fuzzy
Human Avatar: 7837

Post by Fuzzy »

I like the head of the antlephore, especially the antlers. The pose is a little confusing, but not bad. It's a little too plain, and when next to the mallarchy, a bit too dark. The fins on the chest look out of place. It would look better without them. Overall, it's nice, but not something I'd own.

I like the expression of the mallarchy and the transparent wings are a nice touch. The pose looks off, though. The leg on our left looks oddly bent.
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

I really don't like the antlephore. There's a lot of unused white space, the pose is weird, and like everyone else said, the fins on the chest look really out of place. I think it could have used more markings as well. And this is just nitpicking, but the shading on the back looks strange. Like... the rest of the shading is jagged and fur-like, but on the back it looks cloud shape. But like I said, definitely nitpicking.

The mallarchy is a lot nicer. I hate ducks, and so I hate this species, but it's definitely the best mallarchy yet. My only gripe is its left(out right) wing has a little too much webbing in comparison to the other. Unless the other wing is supposed to be bent toward us, but I can't really see it. Lovely pet, just the same.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I don't mind the darker color on the antlephore, but I agree that it is really plain. And I have absolutely NO idea why there are fins coming out of it's chest. That kind of thing would probably only work decently with a fish. But the horns and hooves are nice, and its face is rather cute.

The mallarchy is nice, though. :D The colors are working well, and the fin wings are a nice idea. It looks apropriately mean, but the marching pose is fairly odd.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

I like the shades of brown used on the antlephore. And the horns are quiet nice. But the rest of it is kind of plain. And the fins coming out of its chest is out of place. I feel more could of been done with this.

The mallarchy is nicely drawn. The beak looks awesome, the fins on the head is nice and the transparent wings are cool. The foot gripping is kind of odd looking. Other then that, nice mallarchy addition.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Post by Sunwolf »

I really, really want to like the Antlephore - the brown is very natural, the horns are awesome, and the face is non-stupid. But God! That silly emo-hair-fin flip on the head is driving me nuts. Plus all the other things that others have said. My only hope for a non-stupid looking deer with cool horns is Bloodred, now.

The Mallarchy is splendid - nicely evil, wonderfully detailed, lovely colors. I want one, and I hate ducks.
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
Enriana
Human Avatar: 155464

Post by Enriana »

I really, really dislike the Antlephore.

For starters, the browns used are really dull. It's just plain old boring to look at, the colour scheme isn't good at all. The shading also seems really off around its back especially.

The position is also very awkward. I don't know much about deer anatomy, but I can't see one sitting like that. The front and back legs are really, really wrong. They look broken.

My favourite thing about the Hydrus pets is their blue swirls, and the lack of them (and the abovementioned colours) make it seem more like a plain brown pet than a Hydrus pet.

The fins/coral that've been added seem very last minute, and it all looks really awkward. I think if it were reposed, we could see more of the animal and there'd be more options for fins/swirls/etc.

In short, this pet looks like the much older Subeta art, and not something released just now.

As for the Mallarchy, I neither love it nor hate it. I like the wings, the expression, the horns/ridges, and the colours - it's solidly good. My only hesitation is that its left foot (our right) looks a bit odd, like the ankle is twisted.
Keshi~

Post by Keshi~ »

"The position is also very awkward. I don't know much about deer anatomy, but I can't see one sitting like that. The front and back legs are really, really wrong. They look broken."

To my knowledge, the Antlephore is meant to be swimming.
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

The Antlephore doesn't look like it's swimming, it looks broken.

The pose is poor and there's a lot of white space, making the pet look very bland. I'm with Enriana - this looks like old art, rather than something newly released.

I don't like this new trend of pet art. Either something is too dark for the average monitor, or the shading is so light, it's barely noticeable. Can we get a happy medium? Please?
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
firost-the-dragon

Post by firost-the-dragon »

in my opinion, i don't like either. >.> the antlephore is like how a lot of others said it was, but the mallarchy i just really don't like. i dunno, i just don't like it.
see this picture and more at http://www.darkpidgeot10.deviantart.com . this is by ME!!!