Hipposaru revamp poll - Now completed

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
lar

Re: Hipposaru revamp poll

Post by lar »

Oi vey. Much agreed with OP's sentiments.

I mean, it's good to see the hipposaru get some attention after so long, and the art (in terms of shading, etc.) is a huge improvement. The feet are also way better.

The face is suffering from bad furry art all-animals-look-like-wolves syndrome, and the ears look... bloated. The spots I can take or leave. They're not bad--it's good to see an attempt at fine detail in their design, and the yellow-green offsets the red nicely. They're just rather unnatural looking. And WTF, the wings. Why replace the more realistic wings with those awful, cliche chibi/CLAMP/Gaia online tack-on things? Bah.
Oops, my karma ran over your dogma.
firost-the-dragon

Post by firost-the-dragon »

the new one looks a bit like the bori from neopets if the ears stood up.

i kinda like the old one better. but i really don't like hipposarus in general. :|
see this picture and more at http://www.darkpidgeot10.deviantart.com . this is by ME!!!
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Post by Tiki »

New revamp is official. Small changes to the first design made a huge difference. :D I'm 90% sure I'll be getting one as my 14th pet in December, now.

Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Re: Hipposaru revamp poll - Now completed

Post by Seerow »

Whoever the artist is did a great job changing it from the original to make it look more hippoish. Not sure how I feel about the name change, but at least Hipottu was better then about 90% of the other suggestions.

I love the wings that were added! So much nicer then the anime wings from before. I didn't notice it at first, but I'm liking the new face marking change from all green to some gold, I think it looks rather nice. The old teeth didn't bother me, but now that I see them smaller, I think it looks much less goofy.

So yeah, this revamp doesn't make me love Hipposarus, but it is a nice revamp overall and I'm interested to see how some of the redraws turn out. Kinda scared about what will happen to the Hydus, considering it looks absolutely nothing like a Hipposaru.

edit:
Ohh wow, Dusk is lovely!!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Chandi

Post by Chandi »

While I'm not in love with it or anything, it is definitely better than the first revamp. The defined nostrils, mouth and ears definitely changed it for the better. And of course, the wings are tons better.

However, I am terrified for the Hydrus revamp. Like Seerow said, it doesn't look like a Hipposaru (Hipottu, ugh), to begin with... I've never been bothered by revamps before, but that is my favorite on the site. I won't throw a shit fit or anything, but thank god for overlays.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

This is wonderful. The new wings are really nice, and the problem with the back foot was fixed. The new head spots are cute, too. I'm really glad the teeth were shortened and that the muzzle was widened as it makes the face look much better. The back plate was removed, but you don't really notice.

Very good revamp, I think. :) The hipposaru is cute now.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Hipottu is a fine name, but I really, really, really don't see how that's so much "less" hippo-y than hipposaru (especially when everyone misspells it as "hippotu"). I mean, if the real animal were named hipposaurus, I guess I could see it, but... actually, that's an awesome name. And much easier to spell than hippopotamus. Let's lobby to change that.
Image Image
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

They definitely fixed all the minor things that were bugging me from the beta revamp. Although the pet itself still doesn't interest me, it looks really nice and is a huge improvement on the old. Very nice work on the artist's behalf. :) I'm curious to see the redraw colours.

The new name bugs the hell out of me though. More of that useless double letter, ugh.
Image Image
Kari

Post by Kari »

Hipottu looks weird with two t's and one p. And I feel like I'm spitting or stuttering while saying it :V
The revamp art is cute, though.
derp
Fuzzy
Human Avatar: 7837

Post by Fuzzy »

This is much nicer than the proposed revamp. However, I also dread the hydrus revamp. Though with the recent "plot," I don't think it is top priority right now. Maybe we'll even see darkmatter this week.
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

Still don't like the skin lesions, but I'm so glad the artist listened to our critiques. This looks 10x better than the proposed one. Who's the new Hipottu artist?
lar

Post by lar »

Ahh, this looks so much better than the first revamp. Hippsaur--er, Hipottu (so weird) looks so cute now, makes me tempted to get one.
Oops, my karma ran over your dogma.
shadowgem
Human Avatar: 71636

Post by shadowgem »

I love this little guy. *_* I really want one now, but I can't decide on a name, or a current pet of mine to change. *sigh* I think Common, Dusk, and Marsh are my favorite colors. The markings don't show up well on Dawn and Cream, at least on my screen. I'm actually surprised they went with a mix of purple and blue for twilight, as most twilight pets have one or the other. Also surprised that Nuclear wasn't released with the revamp, like it usually is. Really looking forward to seeing some of the "redraw" colors for this pet. :D

Also, I love the name Hipottu. >_>
neopets (still full of fail) ~:~ subeta
Avatar drawn for me by Subeta user SHOZZYKiNS
Enriana
Human Avatar: 155464

Post by Enriana »

The name "Hipottu" makes me think of "potty", which doesn't mesh at all with this elegant creature. I liked a lot of the name suggestions given on the forums - any of those would've worked better than "Hipottu". Especially when it still has a hippo-ish prefix, and the motivation to change the name (I thought) was to get something substantially different (like going from Turdle to Chelon).

That said, I really like the revamp. The wings are really well done, I like the jewelry dots, and am overall quite interested to see what its new & revamped redraws will look like. The revamp turned a "meh" pet into something I might actually own, or at least admire.
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Enriana wrote:The name "Hipottu" makes me think of "potty"
And now I'll never be able to un-hear it, lol.
Image Image