Pokemon HG/SS

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Mistress Morbid

Re: Pokemon HG/SS

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Sooo...

As someone who has never tried any of the Pokemon games, what would you guys suggest? I used to love the cards and everything when I was young, and I'm pretty sure I'd have a lot of fun with the games, but it seems there's so many that I have no idea where to start! xD

I have a DS, so I'm assuming that's what most of them are for? >.>
Image Image
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

You can play anything RSE or later on a DS; if you want to play any of the old games, you'll probably be best off just grabbing a ROM.

As for trying the games, I'll vouch for FireRed or LeafGreen - they give a really great nostalgic feel of the what made the original games so great, and spoil you with pretty graphics (plus it's actually possible to play them on your console). I wasn't allowed to play the games as a kid, though I loved Pokémon anyway, and I went and got FR when I got back into the community - it felt wonderful. :3
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Well, I'd say jump in with a DS game, not a GBA game, if only because the DS games let you run indoors. BEST INVENTION EVER. ;D My main game now is Diamond, but Platinum has more features than Diamond; I love it too.
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

I'd suggest FireRed or LeafGreen too, but at the same time, they're only so great because they're nostalgic. At the same time, though, they'll introduce you to the "basic" pokemon storyline.

If you want to jump right in with the latest and greatest, go for Platinum.
Digital Kaizer Myuu

Post by Digital Kaizer Myuu »

Y'know, they could name it Pokemon HazeyPaleRedPolkadottedElectricBlue and I'd still get it...
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Just posting to remember people than the games are out sunday in Americanada. :)
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Sunday can't come fast enough. :(
Madge

Post by Madge »

It's an extra week for Australia :(. I'm crying on the inside!
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Post by Tiki »

Aw, I'm working all day on Sunday. :( But... I have Monday off! I'll have to "reward" myself by picking it up on the way home from work. :D

Is it bad that I'm most excited about the "pedometer?" I've lost 8 lbs so far this year, anything that will motivate me further is always a good thing. XD

I loved G/S more than any other game in the series, so this excites me like crazy. I think this time I will finally, truly, really make an attempt to complete the pokedex. I've never actually managed to do that in any other game so far...
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I'm excited as well. I hope Toys R Us gives me the preorder bonus figurines or I will be very ticked off at myself for not preordering elsewhere. And at TRU for not having the figurines.

It's times like this that I really wish I could draw, because I have the crazy urge to draw my trainer characters.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

Both me and my wife can't wait either! Hurry up Sunday! Though we'll have to wait longer then that. We pre-ordered it online (we don't drive and no where was really offering pre-orders where we live :p) so it'll be a couple days after. But it's totally worth the wait! And we might get the figures with it too cause they are advertised with the order on the website. So that be cool!
My wife is getting both cause she's a total pokemon junkie. Plus she boasts that she's owned one of every game, sometimes two of the same game. XD I'm not so junkie about it so I just ordered gold. Gold because of
Spoiler: open/close
Kyogre and Latias. My wife gave away her Sapphire to a cousin so I never was able to get either of those pokemon. So with gold I can! XD
I spoiled the last part just in case anyone wanted to be surprised by the pokemon you can get in each game. I'm most excited about finally getting my Suicune! I never had the patience to get one from FR or LG. ^-^;
And it's not bad to be excited about the pokewalker Tiki! My wife is super excited too. She likes the idea of being motivated to walk again. She always enjoyed walking but with her bad knees she's hasn't really been motivated so she's happy to have this to motivate her! ^-^
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

So I got sick of worrying about whether I'd get the preorder figures from TRU or not, since they're the only reason I'm buying both games right away rather then being sensible and waiting. So I got my money back and went and used it on preorders from best buy, where you just bought the figures as the preorder. They're now sitting prettily on my shelf and I can really get excited :D

Though I still haven't decided on a water pokemon on my team. It was a gyarados in the original, but I'd rather have a Johto pokemon. I may go with quagsire, but I still have bad memories of the one my sister trained and beat me many times with...
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Get one and name it REVENGE OF. Then it will be REVENGE OF THE QUAGSIRE.

=D
Image Image
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Release date feels sooooooo far away. :(

Just curious-- who is going to try and recreate their old teams from 2ndGen? I know I am, complete with the Rattata I insisted on carrying around to the point of wasting a team slot during the Pokémon League. Ah, I am SO nervous/excited about this game. ("What if they've made the whole place unrecognisable? What if there AREN'T any Rattata any more? What if the maps have all been redrawn so all your knowledge is useless?" / "If I see even one place that looks the way it used to and find myself walking around it in colour after all this time, I. Will. Cry.")
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I never played 2nd gen, haha (I didn't play until 3rd gen... like, way late in 3rd gen, a few years after even Emerald was out e_e) and since I decided to play this game as Travis (my Pokemon character, after trying to spend days figuring out if I wanted to or not), I'm actually playing with a lot of 3rd gen Pokemon... assuming it will let me transfer them over regardless of Pokedex like it did in Platinum x__X I sure hope so, because I spent a hella long time breeding Raltses last night...

I am using some 2nd gen Pokemon to mix up his usual team though - like a Mareep, and I will use my Quilava starter (...I can't ever remember its first evolution's name). But really... I don't like a lot of Gold and Silver Pokemon, haha, and I never have. Whether or not that's because I didn't play the games originally, or just because I'm really picky and a lot of G/S Pokemon just aren't ~*~CUTE~*~ to me, I don't know. So we'll see what happens. Right now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can just transfer over Francis and everything'll be okay e_e

My mom and aunt will be here this weekend, which means we can't play all day D: Boo. But we told them we have to go pick up our games in the morning at least, haha, and so we will!