Glacier Pherret

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Nectaris

Re: Glacier Pherret

Post by Nectaris »

I think that other than the head, I like it. I agree that something seems wrong with the shape of the head, as well as the inverted mask. It makes me think that he was wearing sunglasses while being painted. I do love the ice on it's belly, it's a nice concept and well pulled off.
Image Image Image Image Image
Rah

Post by Rah »

I honestly think it's beautiful. When I first saw the white mask, I did think 'woah, that looks odd' - but it really grew on me, to the point I now adore it. It's just so different! And it looks really soft, as a pet.
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

Wow, that is just AWFUL. Pherrets are one of my most favorite pets on the site and this is just god-awful with the coloring. I like the pose and everything else, but what the fuck were they thinking giving it an ENTIRELY BLUE HEAD?

I don't care if that's how the current Pherret is colored, this just looks really, really bad.

Just ... dear god, ew.

And, gotta love Illusion saying basically, "Shut up you guys, it's not changing."

WTG.
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

*honestly wonders what colours people think this should use, tested inverting the blue and white and it looked weird*
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Well, comparing it to the arid Pherret, I would have expected something more along these lines:

...With a much better, less-plastic looking mask, of course. :oops: I phail at tweaking.

I actually REALLY like the Glacier Pherret as it is, but I also agree that compared to the non-redraw color scheme, it looks a little strange.
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

That doesn't make sense though, since the head is the same colour as the belly (the common posed pherret has a shadow on its belly that makes it look darker).
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I actually adore this, its very very pretty.

The mask is a little strange and I'm really not liking how the whole head is blue. Maybe the artists could have kept the normal mask, and instead of it being the usual shape have it fade into the designs that Glaciers have? If that makes any sense to anyone other then me.

Really, if it wasn't for the blue head, I'd more Axander into this.

Edit: I just did a quick look at the other Pherrets and realized that the head is the same color as the chest fur on all Pherrets, so why does it look so strange on this one for us? Though usually, the mask itself seems to be a darker color then the rest of the body, so that may be part of it. The edges of the mask itself though need to be more jagged or something, with them being perfectly straight like they are it makes it look tacked on? or something.

Edit 2: Oops, sorry Aqua :P Your post further up made it seem to me like you had :)
Last edited by Seerow on 13 Jan 2008 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

Oh, I didn't do the glacier pherret, I was just curious as to how it could be done different. XD I can understand not being fond of it, I'm just wondering if there would have been a better option that what Illusion picked since the head/belly matching + needing to be mostly white makes it trickier. I saw her try the pherret with a dark eye mask and it wasn't that nice looking.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Aqua wrote:That doesn't make sense though, since the head is the same colour as the belly (the common posed pherret has a shadow on its belly that makes it look darker).
...True. :p I left it blue on purpose because I thought having half the belly blue and half the belly white would look really weird on that pose. -_- You're right, that still doesn't fit the common color scheme; I think I was just trying to test the theory about whether a dark mask on a light face would make any difference.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Aqua wrote:That doesn't make sense though, since the head is the same colour as the belly (the common posed pherret has a shadow on its belly that makes it look darker).
I'd rather the artist made an exception in this case because if the other colour schemes she tried look worse than this then I'd just ignore the fact that the belly is meant to be the colour of the face. I'd love to see a more polished version of what Officer IBDI did on site. I might actually get one.

I couldn't get one as it is because it just doesn't look right this way. It's because it's white. I think this pet was always going to be difficult to get right. The main colours had to be those two and if it was mainly cyan it wouldn't fit in with the other Glacier pets. I think she should have taken a bit of artistic license with the pet because I don't think it works at all.
Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

Would someone with mad graphics skills switch the white on the body with blue (so the head is properly white)?

I agree with Adi. I'd rather the artist had made an exception, but according to the news comments, Keith said no to that. So. I'm blaming him for the fucked up coloration.

I've been dying for an icy coloration for pets for a very long time, but I'm really disappointed by it as a whole so far.
Varicolored on Subeta
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I also agree with Adi. While it's true the teal wouldn't match the other pherrets in the sense that it's not the same color as the body, it's a moot point since EVERY other pherret's mask is darker than the rest of the face, period. The version Officer 1BDI edited looks perfectly fine and I sincerely think few people would have noticed anything amiss had it been released like that. If she wanted to be technically correct, then the entire body should have been teal instead. Regardless, the reasoning for keeping it ugly is stupid.
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Post by hebdenhippy »

I had a go editing it for you Mayhem,

I know the editing is terrible, but hopefully it gets the idea across ^^

EDIT: Looking at it, I think the colours actually work better this way round
Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

hebdenhippy wrote:I had a go editing it for you Mayhem,

I know the editing is terrible, but hopefully it gets the idea across ^^
Thank you so much! :D

Now THAT is a Pherret I would create. I think the colors work really well - it looks like a little bandit and the white color follows the guideline of the head having to be the same color as the chest. I love that one so, so very much more and would have been ecstatic to see it that way instead. :(
Varicolored on Subeta
Rah

Post by Rah »

Mayhem wrote:And, gotta love Illusion saying basically, "Shut up you guys, it's not changing."
I don't think you should put words into her mouth. She said "It's not a revamp and you all mostly don't like the inverted colors which as Keith has said... is what I had to do. :p

It's not helpful seeing "i hate the mask" over and over again. It won't change."

This was aimed at the people who were trying to give her crits to change THIS pet - which she is not allowed to do. The only pets we take crits on, are pets that are being polled in light of a redraw. This pherret isn't being redrawn, it's a new pet, and Illusion has followed the guidelines laid down by the glacier palette, and by the colouration of the common pherret - exactly as an artist should.

The guidelines state that the main bodycolour should be white, with the secondary colour being cyan. In cases where this would invert the colours, so be it. Therefore, on the common pherret, the majority of the fur is the mid-brown colour, and the secondary colour is the cream of the belly. Mid-brown becomes white, and cream becomes the cyan. Then she's left with the mask - which on the common is SLIGHTLY darker than the mid-brown fur - but because we are inverting the colours of this pet, she technically should be going LIGHTER. But it's not possible to go lighter than white, so it just became white as well.

She is saying 'it won't change' because it's due to the colour scheme, and she is not allowed nor required to change it. There are hundreds of pets on the site to choose from, and some people here seem to think their opinion is the only one that counts - but there are plenty of people who love this pet as it is, and like the white mask. Helpful crits are those on how Illusion could improve future pherrets - but in future pherrets, this colour scheme wouldn't apply, so critting the colour scheme is rather pointless.