Altador Cup 2007

Post anything new on Neopets here.
EofS

Post by EofS »

Cranberry wrote:Speaking of that. EofS, finals work like this:
At the conclusion of the double round robin phase, the four best-performing teams will advance to the final matches that will determine who will reign supreme in this year's Altador Cup. The top two teams will meet in a final showdown for first place, and the teams that ranked third and fourth in the double round robin phase will battle for third place.
Ooh, thanks, I'd completely misread that. Damn. I thought it was going to be the top four going to semi-finals, then the winners of the semis play each other and the losers of the semis play each other. Bother.

Not least because it's now almost certain that even if my team reaches the finals, I won't be able to contribute. Botheration.
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

I actually have the trophy for not switching teams (I was mainly doing the first altador cup because yay Blumaroo recognition, and the prizes didn't really matter to me):

I think, if you want to talk about team popularity and such, Roo Island can attribute a majority of its popularity this year to the surprising boost they got last year. I'm a Blumaroo freak, as some of you are <strike>painfully</strike> aware of, and there was no thought in choosing the team for me. I'd be willing to say though that most of the people who joined Roo Island this year did so because they knew it would be a successful team, and were hoping to hop the winning train. I must say that I admire people who join a team like Kiko Lake or Virtupets, knowing it probably won't win, but they love the team so much that they don't care.
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I want pretty items. And if I can't afford them myself, I will be sad.

=)

I also saw this trophy

On someone's lookup.

She played for LD two first rounds last year.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

My first team last year was Kiko Lake, I was hoping they'd a dark horse type team with a chance of winning, so I went with RI and then HW when they lost.

I was choosing between RI and HW this year as well. But I think HW only won because most of the KIers and RIers probably joined HW so they could take down the team that always seems to be bragging.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I think, if you want to talk about team popularity and such, Roo Island can attribute a majority of its popularity this year to the surprising boost they got last year.
I don't know about that, though -- I mean, I'm sure it's a factor, but RI did much better than expected last year, when we had no history at all. And I think the reason for that is... well, you see this attitude all over the Internet. We people on the Internet, we love our little cult things. Firefly, BTVS, Veronica Mars, Donnie Darko, any number of indie bands... we like feeling like part of a special little club, a club of people who recognize what's different and cool (in our opinion, anyway ;)). I think a lot of people joined Roo Island precisely because it's this tiny, unknown island and they knew the masses would sign up for the big, popular lands like Darigan and the Lost Desert -- the American Idol and Everybody Loves Raymond of Neopia, if you will. ;)

Personally: I joined RI last year and this year for a few reasons. I like the crest and the player art best, I always love rooting for the underdog (and who better to pick as the underdog than the tiniest land in Neopia?), and I took the quiz and it told me to join RI. ;)

Edit: I hope that made some kind of sense! I just played 2.5 hours of Yooyuball (while watching season two and three episodes of BTVS, heh!) and I'm very tired. I think I'll sleep now.
Last edited by Cranberry on 22 Jun 2007 04:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

My reasons to take RI are silly.

The Altador Cup started 9 days after I got the Court Jester avatar. And I wanted to use it. Badly.

I stayed this year because Virtupets's lineup failed. (Where's the Buzz!)
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Cranberry wrote:
I mean, I'm sure it's a factor, but RI did much better than expected last year, when we had no history at all. And I think the reason for that is... well, you see this attitude all over the Internet. We people on the Internet, we love our little cult things. Firefly, BTVS, Veronica Mars, Donnie Darko, any number of indie bands... we like feeling like part of a special little club, a club of people who recognize what's different and cool (in our opinion, anyway ;)). I think a lot of people joined Roo Island precisely because it's this tiny, unknown island and they knew the masses would sign up for the big, popular lands like Darigan and the Lost Desert -- the American Idol and Everybody Loves Raymond of Neopia, if you will. ;)
That's exactly why I picked Kiko Lake last year, didn't really kick off. I guess when it comes down to internet cult things I am a bad guesser at what's hot and what's not. I knew I didn't want to join a team where I'd be just another number, like KI and DC.

But this year uhh..RI is big because it was an underdog team and now that underdog team is not underdog, in fact it's a top dog, which is a reason I didn't join one of the "popular" teams like DC, so now RI has become an under dog that actually isn't an under dog at all. Am I saying dog too much? :P
sezrin

Post by sezrin »

New listings - 6 points for youyu win, 2 for a draw. 3 points for MSN or SS win, 1 for a draw...

1st Roo Island 181
2nd Krawk Island 179
3rd Darigan Citadel 176
4th Mystery Island!!!! 164
5th Lost Desert 160
6th Shenkuu 151
7th Haunted Woods 145
8th Meridell 109
9th Maraqua 108
10th Terror mountain 88
11th Brightvale 58
12th Tyrania 45
13th Altador 42
14th Kiko Lake 29
15th Faerie land 21
16th Virtupets 14

As you can see, Shenku is climbing the tables. And finally the mystery Island has entered the top 4! Woo! That makes me a happy coconut
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

So, RI is still in first. Thats a relief. We have to win todays YYB, or rather, all.

:D Haha, yea, Mystery Island is doing great! What place were they in before? At the start of the games?
Image Image
ImageImage
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Did everyone see the little neo cup news update yesterday? It showed up before the latest results. Maybe someone more mathematically-inclined than me can use it to figure out how they're weighting the sidegames.
As the Altador Cup tournament reaches the midway point of the Round Robin, four teams have pulled ahead to the top of the standings. Roo Island players Lilo Blumario and Jair Tollet have lived up to expectations and helped their scrappy team solidify their position as the tournament heads into the second half of the Round Robin. These hardy island players have not lost a single Yooyuball match yet, winning fifteen of their seventeen games and coming to a draw in the other two. In the meantime, the tough team from Darigan Citadel steadily maintains their position as the favourite, while the nearly-impenetrable defense of Krawk Island continues to help the buccaneers pull ahead of their competition.

The solid playing of the Lost Desert squad, as well as the amazing support they've received in the tournament's two side competitions, has helped these desert wanderers find a place on the leader board. However, it's hardly a time for anyone to let their guard down on the field. Despite losing one of their teammates to injury, the Mystery Island team is close behind, hungering for one of the top spots.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I didn't understand it, it didn't really tell me what positions anyone was in, except that they were the top 4. But it's probably down to me misreading.

Why are Roo Island called scrappy? We can't be that bad :x I guess Darigan is in the lead according to them as they are still 'the favourite', either that or TNT just happens to be ignoring that as we are in the lead and they still say Darigan is favourite.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Most important about being in lead is to stay there.

I played at work.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Has anyone had problems with some of their games not being added into their total? I played for almost two hours off and on yesterday - and I only ended up with fifteen more added to my overall total when I woke up today.

That can't be right - but I don't quite know what to do about it, as there's no real way to keep track of your totals, other than by hand or in your head.

Two. Hours. ≠ fifteen games.

X.X
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Kamil wrote:Has anyone had problems with some of their games not being added into their total? I played for almost two hours off and on yesterday - and I only ended up with fifteen more added to my overall total when I woke up today.

That can't be right - but I don't quite know what to do about it, as there's no real way to keep track of your totals, other than by hand or in your head.

X.X
did you send in all the results for those games, though? It might have been fifteen and you just don't realize it xD Sometimes when I play off and on for a few hours I'll only submit 10 scores or so - i feel like I've played for ages and haven't at all.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Kamil wrote:Has anyone had problems with some of their games not being added into their total? I played for almost two hours off and on yesterday - and I only ended up with fifteen more added to my overall total when I woke up today.

X.X
Since the start of the cup, I lost over 100 wins. Most when the rank system was introduced.

Most I've lost since then was a whooping 8.

And I stopped to count.