Chai and Dragon revamp (+ staff discussion)

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

Just pointing out that the Ruffie is the 6th most popular pet on the site. :D

And since this revamp, nearly 100 new dragons have been created.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

There's just no accounting for taste these days!

[/false bravado]
Image Image
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

AngharadTy wrote:Yes, checkers, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I was hoping someone would point out that I was perfectly and utterly blind and just didn't see the wings on the old dragon. I can't see why they would change a species so drastically.
Illuen wrote:
...What of the feli, the celinox, the tigrean, the demi? The kumos, the montre, the telenine, the ruffie?
Well, the other pets they mentioned are just as repetitive and unneeded as are these multiple dragons, in my opinion.
I love the demi, don't care for the others, though the feli has good colors. I adore the montre, and love the kumos's redraws. They may all be similar, but since the pets <i>already exist,</i> I guarantee you'll find supporters for each one of them. Maybe not as many for the ruffie. ^_~ But the pets exist, I don't want the ones I love changed, and what else are you gonna do? I think the current argument that they've made the Dragon too similar stands, but saying that the montre is redundant because there are other canines is too far.
Well, I don't think that they should be changing any of them drastically (because when that happens we're just being harsh on them), but it was more of a problem when they were commissioned/chosen to be pets on the site. I honestly think that someone in charge should've looked at them and thought "Hey, these are pretty similar. Maybe it isn't in our best interest to release another vaguely furry squirrel thingie / Western Dragon / Lupine.
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
painesgrey

Post by painesgrey »

Illuen wrote:Well, the other pets they mentioned are just as repetitive and unneeded as are these multiple dragons, in my opinion.
i disagree.

Image Image Image Image

each species has specific traits that set it apart: the montre, wings and a tuft'd tail; the telenine, spines and elongated canines; the ruffie, floppy ears and a puppy look; the kumos, well.. it just looks plain canine.

but if you were to revamp the pets to take away the montre's wings, the telenine's spines, and to make the ruffie look more "adult" - you'd not see the variations between the four of them.

i honestly can't look at the magnus/dragon and say there as differences between them that REALLY set them apart. the dragarth only because it has fur..
ImageImage
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

tallan: I think the new Dragons are shaded in a way which makes them look a lot more muscular and that could be what is seen as 'lumpy', possibly the execution of the shading isn't up to scratch?

Ty: Yes, they did remove whiskers and add wings, which is why I feel a poll is needed.

Chibi Dragon is just dreadful now, when I made my Chibi Montre I was debating between Dragon and Montre, but now this one is so lime and confused looking.
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

painesgrey wrote:
Illuen wrote:Well, the other pets they mentioned are just as repetitive and unneeded as are these multiple dragons, in my opinion.
i disagree.

Image Image Image Image

each species has specific traits that set it apart: the montre, wings and a tuft'd tail; the telenine, spines and elongated canines; the ruffie, floppy ears and a puppy look; the kumos, well.. it just looks plain canine.

but if you were to revamp the pets to take away the montre's wings, the telenine's spines, and to make the ruffie look more "adult" - you'd not see the variations between the four of them.

i honestly can't look at the magnus/dragon and say there as differences between them that REALLY set them apart. the dragarth only because it has fur..
With those four pets, I do see them as easily being different colors of the same pet, with the Montre being the most different. To relate to Neopets, for example, I could see the Kumos being the normal pet, with the Ruffie a Baby painted pet, the Telenine Mutant or Tyrannian, with the Montre possibly being Tyrannian as well.I honestly don't feel there are enough differences in the three (four if you count the Montre, which I do think is different enough to warrant a different species)
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Illuen wrote: I could see the Kumos being the normal pet, with the Ruffie a Baby painted pet, the Telenine Mutant or Tyrannian, with the Montre possibly being Tyrannian as well.I honestly don't feel there are enough differences in the three (four if you count the Montre, which I do think is different enough to warrant a different species)
Well Subeta doesn't have a Mutant or Tyrannian type colour, so for those of us who would want those types of pets would have to go for a Telenine. ^_~

I totally agree about the Ruffie though, get rid of it, if I want a puppy I would get a Chibi Kumos.
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

Kelpie wrote:Just pointing out that the Ruffie is the 6th most popular pet on the site. :D

...that's nice and all, but I'm sure that there are far more than 100 dragon owners who are seriously unhappy with this redraw. Why was there no poll asking us what we thought of the old versus new dragon? When you make changes as drastic as these without even asking the users it smacks of underhandedness. Almost like they knew that the revamp would be unpopular and they didn't care as it was a style they liked.
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

I'm with painesgrey on this one - the canines all have specific traits that set them apart, just as the dragons did. The Dragarth is furry, the Dragon was wingless and a tad Oriental, and the Magnus has a more unfriendly and metallic look. Adding wings and subtracting the whiskers of the Dragon really took away it's individuality.

Regardless that over a hundred new Dragons have been created since the redraw, I think the artists should at least take a minute to consider what sort of damage they're doing to the pets as a whole before they release them.

I know I, for one, would be willing to retract all my bitching if they'd at least bring back the Dragon's poor whiskers. D:
shaelyn76 wrote:
Kelpie wrote:Just pointing out that the Ruffie is the 6th most popular pet on the site. :D

...that's nice and all, but I'm sure that there are far more than 100 dragon owners who are seriously unhappy with this redraw. Why was there no poll asking us what we thought of the old versus new dragon? When you make changes as drastic as these without even asking the users it smacks of underhandedness. Almost like they knew that the revamp would be unpopular and they didn't care as it was a style they liked.
QFE.
tallan

Post by tallan »

Thanks, painesgray and adi_gallia, I think I understand now. Aaand now I'll just go sit in a corner with my newly created Dragon. *whistles*
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

I think the point is that it doesn't matter if there are several sets of similar species on Subeta...as long as each species has its own distinctions. People would get up in arms about the canines looking too much like each other if someone came along and removed the montre's wings, added a tuft to the kumos's tail, etc. There's really no problem with having four dragon-type pets on Subeta (if you don't like one of 'em, don't own it!), but it becomes a problem when the revamps make them look too much like each other (removing whiskers and adding wings to the dragon, in this case).

I don't like the new dragon. I toyed with the idea of getting an old dragon, but there are too many other pets that I love, so it probably wasn't ever going to happen. I can definitely see that they needed a revamp, but entirely changing the look of a pet is a bit drastic.

And I agree that Chimaera's style is rather lumpy. It reminds me of the nastiest bodybuilders. (So obviously I'm not very fond of it.)
Chantal

Post by Chantal »

I like the new dragon personally. It looks much more elegant in my view and the colors/shading is very much well done in my opinion. I can easily tell the difference from the three draconian pets on here and truthfully, if it hadn't been for how lazy and bulky the dragon looked, I would have had one a long time ago.

I'm all for the new dragarth and dragon. And the paralix is your oriental dragon right there. A well done shaded pet with nice colors and a couple pretty redrawns. I'd give the dragon some slack, its jumped leaps and bounds from its old version.

Especially this little bugger. Whoever draws the dragons, I must give them props for the revamp. And the chais still scare me. x__x; Though they are nicely updated.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Now that I have a moment to look them over:

I much prefer this Dragon to the old one, and I adore the bloodred and chibi versions, so yays for that. The only thing I can think of that annoys me about Chimaera's style is her bloodred and galactic pets tend to be way too dark for me to see easily, or at all, really. =D

Okay, not that bad, but they definitely lean that direction. I wonder if she uses a Mac? I remember, back in my icon-making days, that the people who used Macs tended to have icons that I almost couldn't see, and they usually expressed surprise when others first commented on how dark their work was.

The Chai is better. Much better. But I still don't like the pet at all. Oh well, no one is making me get one, so all is well. =D
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

On the whole "there are too many canines/felines" debate I have to say that the canines are each very distinctive (as has been pointed out by several people here) and the Ruffie is the only exception. It may be the 6th most popular species on the site, but I have to wonder how many people who have Ruffies are active on the site and how many are younger kids that signed up, created a cutesy puppy and then never really played. Just because there are a lot of them created doesn't mean there are a lot of them active. The felines... I never really viewed the Demi as a feline. I always thought of it as a squirrel/unicorn/? thingy. The Celinox has the spikes and seems "cold" to me somehow and very different from the Feli which is most definitely a housecat with attitude. As for the Tigrean, well, its a Tiger. Try putting a tiger and a housecat in the same room and you will see many a difference I am sure. Again, they are all feline based, but each has distinctive features that make them hard to confuse. The dragon species used to have that as well. Now they all just blend(with the exception of the paralix as it is very much a Chinese dragon). A revamp is fine when needed, but this wasn't really a revamp so much as it was a "hey let's change everything about this type of pet so it fits my style of art better than the original".
Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

shaelyn76 wrote:

This isn't about staff's personal preference.

In a way, we did poll the dragon revamp via the galactic dragon. Likewise with the serpenth and paralix. I really don't think we will be using the poll system much anymore as users holding on to old outdated art hinders the site from moving forward and becoming better. Expect more revamps to be piloted in this way.