Mutant Peophin

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
varii

Mutant Peophin

Post by varii »

Wow. This is not what I was expecting for a mutant peophin. I would like to see it bigger, but I think I like it overall. I'm not too fond of the mouth though. Is it just a squiggle? There is a lot going on on the face, so I think that might be what's throwing me off. I think I would have liked it more if it had fewer, but more defined facial features.
Last edited by varii on 26 Aug 2008 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
rei @ neopets
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Re: Mutant Peophin

Post by Wingsrising »

Damn, beat me to it. :-)

Dunno. I like the concept -- it looks like something that could actually be an undersea creature, not a standard brown mutant -- but something about it isn't working for me somehow. I think it might be the position of the claws.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

IT WENT OUTSIDE THE LINES.

I WANT ONE. I too, want to see it bigger.
Image Image
ImageImage
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I adore its tails, and I LOVE the color. I just wish its claws didn't look so screwed up, particularly the one that's uh... further away from us. That's my only beef with this lovely creature.

I can't wait to see a huge version of it :D
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I love it. Like, seriously, it's awesome. The tails are cool, the mane is cool. The color combination is killer. And the claws don't bother me. This is, what? The first almost-redraw we've had since 2.0? It looks pretty good, considering. :D
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I want one! It's so delightfully freaky. The only issue I really have with it is that the eye looks fake, almost like a button, but I don't know if I should put that down to design or to the size of the image.
varii

Post by varii »

I just reread the news and saw that the mutant peophin is on one of their new MSN buddy icons.

In this picture the mouth looks much more beaky, and you can see that the normal jewel has been replaced with a third eye, which is something I didn't notice before. I really can't wait to see it bigger.
rei @ neopets
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Oh my gawd a REDRAW. :D

I think it's fantastic, love the colors and the overall design, and now that I notice the third eye in place of the jewel, I like it even more :D
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

I can't pinpoint what all I was expecting, but not this. It's a little too "busy". My eyes are going in 4 places at once.
The colors aren't working for me either. But.....

Peophin Transmogrification here I come!!

This should slice those outrageous TP prices by about 2/3. Thank God! People want 600K for base colored peophins.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I love the transparent mane, that is a very nice touch indeed :D I also like the colors, very nonstandard for Mutant and it works here. The claw concept is nice, though I wish it had been better executed. The far one (its left) looks to be stacked right on top of the front claw, which just looks really really off.

Wish they would post larger versions in the news :(
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

It's not mutant. If anything that there be a Maraquan sea critter. But whatever you want to call it, it's kinda neat and certainly unexpected. I do think the yellow is a bit much, and should have stayed where the standard head piece would go, with the belly being that dark blue.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

It reminds me of the Mutant Yurble Image from last year , which followed a similar Cthulhu theme.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
gomababe

Post by gomababe »

I just spent the last five minutes jumping around the house squealing about there finally being a redraw of something... Yes I have calmed down now ^_^; {mostly >_>}.

That said, I do like this, though the small version does make it look far busier than I think it actually is. I love the idea of the jewel becoming a third eye and the mouth becoming more beak-like {like a squid's *squee*}.

The colouring is very bright for a mutant but I suppose it makes sense if it lives out in the open ocean, not much around to see you in the first place unless you're injured ^_~.

My only complaint is with the tail. I think the mane already makes very good use of the tentacle effect and I didn't even notice the tail until just now, it might have been a bit better if it were put on it's side, more like a shark's. But then that's just my opinion.

Overall tohugh, it is a very good mutant. Bravo to the artist.
Cojiro_Cucco

Post by Cojiro_Cucco »

Oh wow, I love this. First, because it looks awesome. Second, because redraw pets are back! Whoot!
ImageImageImageImage
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Too bad they haven't released it yet. Anyone else writing to complain?
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.