New Picture -WIP

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Chantal

New Picture -WIP

Post by Chantal »

Haha, so I adopted a faerie peophin from here, Waves_of_Love. Fae and I incorporated him into our rp we're currently working on. So I decided to do adoptables, since I like to pixel so much. But they're proving to be a pain right now and I loved the sketch too much to leave it alone. So I decided to do Ovalen(his village name) a picture.

Though this is my first time drawing something. Its a halter, and I need some C&C with it. Most of the anatomy has been fixed, I just need help on his halter. And yes, he's a peophin wearing a halter. He is on Earth and treated like a horse more than a peophin/hippocampi. Oh, and there will be a background. I just need ideas on that too. Decorating tanks can be a challenge. >>;; Here's the pic. So anyone want to help a lost Chantal? xD

Edit: I guess this is to show off more now, since the halter has been fixed.
Last edited by Chantal on 21 Jul 2006 07:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yuka

Post by Yuka »

I love the sketchiness of it, although I'm sure it will look very different finished. You did a good job on the halter. I don't have very much experience drawing them, either, I just wanted to say how much I like the picture. :D As for a background, I think the most obvious one is the sea--you could draw him leaping, like a dolphin does, or diving past a coral reef. If not you could just draw him resting on the shore. Sorry, I'm sure you've thought of these already. :P Good luck with it.
Chantal

Post by Chantal »

Yuka wrote:I love the sketchiness of it, although I'm sure it will look very different finished. You did a good job on the halter. I don't have very much experience drawing them, either, I just wanted to say how much I like the picture. :D As for a background, I think the most obvious one is the sea--you could draw him leaping, like a dolphin does, or diving past a coral reef. If not you could just draw him resting on the shore. Sorry, I'm sure you've thought of these already. :P Good luck with it.
Thank you. ^^ Its my first "sketchy" sketch I've done with my tablet. As for the background, he's kept in a tank on earth by magic folk. He's apart of the Hogwarts world. Heh, so unfortunately I can't do those with him. I just need ideas for tank decorations, it is pretty big. He has a lot of room to swim in there, and he doesn't mind the halter at all. xD
Gazella Dama

Post by Gazella Dama »

It's very cute, and the halter looks correct to me :3 It is a tiny bit random, though, maybe you could add a breast collar or something as well or some other decorations to flesh him out? Or not, it's up to you. Other than that, her looks a bit skinny for an equine. I'd thicken up his neck and tail a bit, and don't be afraid to really bring out a nice, deep barrel chest.

As for tank decorations, you could go with your standard sand and plants. Maybe there's some crumbling statues or ruins in there, too?
Chantal

Post by Chantal »

Gazella Dama wrote:It's very cute, and the halter looks correct to me :3 It is a tiny bit random, though, maybe you could add a breast collar or something as well or some other decorations to flesh him out? Or not, it's up to you. Other than that, her looks a bit skinny for an equine. I'd thicken up his neck and tail a bit, and don't be afraid to really bring out a nice, deep barrel chest.

As for tank decorations, you could go with your standard sand and plants. Maybe there's some crumbling statues or ruins in there, too?
Thank you! ^^ Well, he is a peophin. This is just how his subspeices is built, I believe. Maybe when I color him, I'll emphasize on his muscles. If I can figure out how to do that. Anyway, the halter has been fixed. It wasn't rounded enough on his nose, but a friend helped me.

For the tank, I was thinking pebbles but the people that take care of him are marine scientists. >>; So I don't think they would do a normal tank for him like an aquarium. Its why I'm so lost.
TCD

Post by TCD »

Scientists probably wouldn't put anything in a tank, either that or they'd try to replacate the closest natural habitat to the critter. Depends on the ethicality (is that a word) of the scientists in question.

Either that or I'm entirely talking out of my backside. I know we have some Marine Biologists kicking around here. What would y'all do if you have a sea-horse (ha, ha) in your possession?
Gazella Dama

Post by Gazella Dama »

Chantal wrote:
Gazella Dama wrote:It's very cute, and the halter looks correct to me :3 It is a tiny bit random, though, maybe you could add a breast collar or something as well or some other decorations to flesh him out? Or not, it's up to you. Other than that, her looks a bit skinny for an equine. I'd thicken up his neck and tail a bit, and don't be afraid to really bring out a nice, deep barrel chest.

Thank you! ^^ Well, he is a peophin. This is just how his subspeices is built, I believe. Maybe when I color him, I'll emphasize on his muscles. If I can figure out how to do that.
Hmmm... wait, so is he actually really small? If so, then it'd be okay if he looks more delicate, but the transition from neck-shoulders-to-tail looks much more awkward if he's a larger creature.
rottweilerchika

Post by rottweilerchika »

*gigglesnort* It's a Hamilton Halter. xDD.

I reccomend that the snap on the halter should be a bit bigger- thinking back on the one I'd bought for Minuit, it should be the equivalent of 2 inches long on a normal horse head.

Anatomy wise on the little stallion, I'd also make the pasterns a little more definitive from the bottom of the leg. ^__^
i suck a lot okay
Chantal

Post by Chantal »

The Cheshire Dragon wrote:Scientists probably wouldn't put anything in a tank, either that or they'd try to replacate the closest natural habitat to the critter. Depends on the ethicality (is that a word) of the scientists in question.

Either that or I'm entirely talking out of my backside. I know we have some Marine Biologists kicking around here. What would y'all do if you have a sea-horse (ha, ha) in your possession?
Eh, england so I'm not sure. This is set in the Hogwarts world, so they are magic folk. Which is why he has such a big tank. >>; I guess doing more coral like features and sand would be the best. That is his natural habitat, a coral reef.
Gazella Dama wrote: Hmmm... wait, so is he actually really small? If so, then it'd be okay if he looks more delicate, but the transition from neck-shoulders-to-tail looks much more awkward if he's a larger creature.
Nah, I really don't know. Its just how I draw them. I thought they were a bit more delicate than neopet's peophins so that's how I drew them. They rely more on their wingfins than anything else and their tails. Its probably how thick I made his shoulder. It'll be covered by his mane anyway, so I don't think it will do much good to change it. I know I have a habbit of making either too thin or too thick. >>;; Blah. Thank you for the help though. ^^
rottweilerchika wrote:*gigglesnort* It's a Hamilton Halter. xDD.

I reccomend that the snap on the halter should be a bit bigger- thinking back on the one I'd bought for Minuit, it should be the equivalent of 2 inches long on a normal horse head.

Anatomy wise on the little stallion, I'd also make the pasterns a little more definitive from the bottom of the leg. ^__^
Err...I'm not a horse owner or am around any. ^^; I just found a ref really. I just like peophins and hippocampus. Yeah, just a sketch right now. The detail will be added in later when I lineart this. As for the anatomy, I thank you for the help. I'll keep that in mind the next time, this sketch is relatively done now. *doesn't know what pasterns are either*
rottweilerchika

Post by rottweilerchika »

^_^

Pasterns are the little areas right above the hoof area.

http://horses.about.com/od/partsoftheho ... astern.htm

When you draw them in, it makes for a more 'alive' image. ^__^
i suck a lot okay
Chantal

Post by Chantal »

rottweilerchika wrote:^_^

Pasterns are the little areas right above the hoof area.

http://horses.about.com/od/partsoftheho ... astern.htm

When you draw them in, it makes for a more 'alive' image. ^__^
Oh, my legs are more of a MLP style so it might make my legs weird if I did that. He does have fur on the end and hooves. xD I just add those in when I lineart, when most of the details are placed in anyway.